Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Looking for solar panel advice....
The Sprinter is in Texas waiting for its place in line.
Included on the RB build is the Penthouse Top.
The current plan is to install one solar panel. The question - flexible panel vs. standard solid panel.
I will be carrying a canoe up top and thus really like the idea of the flexible panel down low and flush to the roof.
Any thoughts on one vs. the other? How about using adhesive to affix the panel to the roof? Currently looking at either the Zamp or Go Power flex panels.

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Here are couple of things that I have read over the years on the differences between the two. In recent years the output of the actual panels has closed up to being closer to equal. A few years back it was not really all that close, and flexible designs did not seem to last long.

A few years back at least one reputable solar installer pulled their flexible panel offerings do to cupping that made the panel difficult to clean and had a negative effect on output. So if I was looking into flexible panels I would ask about that, it was a couple of years back so it may have been fixed by now.

Warranty - I can't say this would be my go or no go issue, but hard panels usually have a longer warranty then flexible panels 10 vs 25.

Heat - Two issues with heat, installations of hard panels suggest some airflow underneath them to aid in reducing heat. The hotter the panel the less output the panel will produce. Also heat absorbed through your roof will be much higher with a flexible unit.

Carrying a canoe you will want, to make sure that you limit any shading it may have on the panels, unless you only plan on good solar power when you have the canoe off.

I don't have any history with adhesive mounting so I will leave that to others.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #13

I have two of the "lightweight" panels (as they call them now, since it turns out bending them doesn't work that well). I went in with eyes wide open as I had read the findings by AM Solar about the cupping, etc. I "needed" them because I carry them inside the rig and set them out when I stop. I'd have a hard time doing that with traditional panels.

However, traditional (metal/glass) panels are much, MUCH more heavy duty. I will be putting some of those on my roof. I have babied the lightweight panels (carry them in fleece plus original box in van), plus always prop them up outside (air flow underneath) and yet I have still had two failures. One was a diode box overheating/melting, and the other still works but there are holes in the plastic. I think these may have occurred when one time one panel flipped over (it was resting on the ground already, but flopped face down in a wind moment). They are cupping as well (even though they are the ones with the "heavier" plastic) and the plastic surface shows other marks and scratches (I only clean them with a copious amount water and non-abrasive cloth).

The other issue is you almost can't get them right now. I looked around when my one panel failed this fall. Grape apparently wants to continue to import them but something about the importing of a certain part may not happen for another year (China). Renogy is supposedly re-designing theirs to be more heavy duty and the new ones are not out yet.

If I were putting panels on the roof and there were any way I could go with the glass/metal panels I would (and in fact I will be doing that on my roof). I went with them because there is no way I'm fitting two glass panels behind my seat, and carrying them in and out would not be that fun either. I do like having "ground" panels because I can park in the shade and put them in the sun.

There are some high end lightweight panels from folks like Solbian and Aurinco, but they are in a whole 'nother league, dollar-wise. They are popular on boats where some people basically sew them onto exterior canvas sun shades and etc.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #14

Scalf77 & Viva,

Thanks for the great input. I have done a bit more research but I believe the last word comes from the GoPower! (they make both styles) sales rep. He replied quickly to the warranty question for Flex panels - 10 year warranty, 80% power output after 10 years. Then I asked him "given the choice, which panel style would you go with?" His reply: "I would recommend the tempered glass rigid panel for sure if you have the choice. This is for a couple of reasons. First they have a 25 year warranty and are designed to last 30 plus years. They cost about 40% or more less per watt than the flexible as well. The flexible panels are only 2 years old, the technology to make them thin, light and flexible means they cost more. In extreme heat situations there have been issues where the panel can cup a little but I have only seen that happen for sustained desert heat in Arizona."

I just went down to SMB Fresno and measured an installed glass rigid panel on top of a penthouse roof - 2" overall height from the top of the roof to the top of the panel. My square tube Thule rack measures 3-3/4" from the top of the roof to the underside of the crossbar, thus there is 1-3/4" clear - plenty of clearance for those times when I want to put the canoe on the rack over the top of the panel.

Decision made! Thanks for the help.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote