Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Solar Connector

I won't get my SMB until August. I'm considering adding the prewired solar controller and looking at portable panel options. I like the GoalZero portable unit, but wonder about connecting it to the SMB port. Has anyone done this or can anyone share a photo of the SMB port? If you chose to do your own solar, do you wish you had gone with the prewire? Thanks!

Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

SMB installed a single Zamp port on the side of the van next to the electrical port
ronmillerpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

You can also specify to SMB where to put the solar connector(s) on the van if you pre-wire. I have the Zamp 200W portable unit, which I decided on before the build. There is one port on the top of the left front of the penthouse for when the panels are on the roof, and another port at the back left side of the van for when the panels are on the ground with a 30' cord. This provides maximum flexibility for our needs. The panels are a bit heavy to lug around - 50 lbs. - but store fairly compact at 40"X28"X3.5" in the carrying case. I wanted to have the entire acreage of the roof rack available for storage as needed and be able to move the panels around to get the best angle of the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
solar connector.jpg  
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Thanks
I have that port on the side of the van, but it does not work when I plug in the panels.
ronmillerpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar