Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #1

Solar Panel mounted on Yakima or Thule tracks

I recently installed a Kyocera KD140GX-LPU 140 Watt panel using my existing Yakima tracks that were mounted on the Penthouse top.

I purchased 2 sets of Yakima Landing Pads 1's http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksyste.../landing-pad-1

I used aluminum angle to make brackets to fit the solar panel and the landing pads. (sorry no photos of the brackets) I modified the landing pads base to fit my bracket. I also modified a allen wench about 1/4" so I can adjust the pads as they are under the overhang of the panel.

, and the cover to fit with the bracket installed.

I also purchase a Seachoice cable thru hull fitting http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Hull+Fittings

I needed to drill out the fitting to fit the MC4 cables

I modified a allen wench about 1/4" so I can adjust the pads as they are under the overhang of the panel.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #2

Thanks Greg! I've always wondered how I would do this. You've just answered it for me!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Solar Panel mounted on Yakima or Thule tracks

Greg, sure looks good and before I decided on a Aluminess rack, that was the way I was gonna go. Curious, did you use some kind of loctite? I've had a nasty time of those coming loose and sliding (Yakama) in my case and have never figured out why they keep doing that. Because I regularly move the towers I never wanted to try some kind of loctite.

Nice job.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Greg, sure looks good and before I decided on a Aluminess rack, that was the way I was gonna go. Curious, did you use some kind of loctite? I've had a nasty time of those coming loose and sliding (Yakama) in my case and have never figured out why they keep doing that. Because I regularly move the towers I never wanted to try some kind of loctite.

Nice job.
Mine haven't moved. Don't they have little lock washers on them? I thought mine did.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

Nice job.
Dave, I did not use loctite, I have had it on almost two months so far no problems, I also have the same Pad for my towers, and to date have not had any issues.

-greg
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

I love it! Where / how did you end up routing the wires internally or did you already have a previous panel in place prior to your install?

Do you notice and noise from the install while driving or is it pretty much the same?
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Its looks great...I have almost the same panel you will love it...Thanks for the post...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Nice work
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Where / how did you end up routing the wires internally or did you already have a previous panel in place prior to your install?
After coming thru the top with the thru hull cable guide, I came in through the existing hole on plywood ceiling (driver’s side front) for the wire that goes to ceiling lights. In my case it also has the RG6 coax for the "TV antenna". I did have to enlarge that hole slightly. Those cables are in flexible wire covering, and go down to and tuck behind front penthouse upholstery trim, Removing that gives you access to the hole going through the roof. Again I enlarged it and put a bigger thru hull connector to protect from sharp edges. After that it was above the trim back to where I mounted solar controller. I did not take any pictures, but could probably go back and snap some off.

-greg
Old 09-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #10

Installed a larger refrigerator about a year ago,one panel was not doing the job. I purchase two new panels from Grape Solar. I purchased the GS-Star-180W-US.pdf . from Home Depot, with there ship to store option you don't pay shipping. It only took a day for me, but then I am just up the road from Eugene. They have a specific panel that is made in the USA, the USA version is normally $258.00 for a 180 watt panel, or $230.00 if you want the Import version. It is just as wide, but a inch shorter in length as Kyocera KD140GX-LPU 140 Watt panel .

Vmpp of 19.67 volts, Impp of 9.77A

For installing I did away Yakima Landing Pads and just mounted aluminum angle directly to the Yakima tracks, I purchase the landing pad replacement hardware instead.

Because the existing panel also had MC4 connectors, wiring was easy as I just used a set of MC4 Parallel connector / Adapter / 1M2F+2M1F /TUV / T Branch Connectors

-greg

I have a used Kyocera KD140GX-LPU 140 Watt panel , if someone local to Portland wants to make a offer..