Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #21

I used VHB tape and sikaflex on just the feet to the penthouse. 2.5 years and no problems. I usually get up on the roof and inspect/give a tug every 6 months.

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #22

Thanks so far,
I already have at least two versions of “ self-stick panels. If you had my roof-line, you’d see why racks could be a major problem! I’d post pictures, but not sure how on this post. However, my van is posted in
the photo section. Or it was when I first joined! Not
certain it’s still there....but it has a lot of curve, and two levels, which isn’t easy to deal with.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #23

We have a Lensun flexible 100 watt panel mounted to the roof of our van with 3M VHB Double Sided Foam Adhesive Tape 5952. Due to the roof being constructed with reinforcing ribs we had to use two 1/4 inch spacers along each side. The tape was used to bond the spacers to the roof and the panel to the spacers. Additional spacers were used between the ribs at the front of the panel. So far the panel has stayed on the roof with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030568.jpg   P1030569.jpg  
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Thanks so far,
I already have at least two versions of “ self-stick panels. If you had my roof-line, you’d see why racks could be a major problem! I’d post pictures, but not sure how on this post. However, my van is posted in
the photo section. Or it was when I first joined! Not
certain it’s still there....but it has a lot of curve, and two levels, which isn’t easy to deal with.
ConnieKat
If you have a contoured roof your only option is probably a rack which creates a flat surface big enough for a panel. Flexible panels will not bend enough to fit the contours of a roof. I don't know which top you have but I can make a pretty good guess that it's probably what we call a TV top, or similar. Way too many bends and corners for a flexible panel I'm afraid.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #25

I mounted my flexible panel a couple weeks ago and have put around 1000 miles on since. I ended up mounting the panel to a piece of coroplast with VHB tape. This added a bit of rigidity to the panel but still contoured to my high-top. Under the coroplast I used four strips of VHB backed 3M Dual Lock inline with the eyelets of the solar panel to secure it to the fiberglass top. So far so good!

Old 11-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #26

Solar panel mount

R27?
Sorry, forgot your header. Great idea though, and one
I had wondered about as well. My top is very contoured and I had yet to come up with a way to
attach them. No one agreed with my plan ( yours), so
I was unable to get any help.
If you have any lists of items needed, and in what order things need to be done etc. I would really appreciate that info very much! I’d really like to get mine set up at last!!!
Thank You,
ConnieKat
If you also have photos of the process, that would be helpful as well.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #27

I didn't take photos but here's everything I bought:

Solar Panel https://amzn.to/36MBsSD
3M VHB Tape https://amzn.to/2WUVrKv
3M Dual Lock 1" x 10ft https://amzn.to/2NPwHiL
ScotchBrite Pad https://amzn.to/32oP4Qz
Coroplast https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...896S/205351385
Rubbing Alcohol

Do this when the temperature is at least 60 degrees or warmer.

1. Cut coroplast to size of solar panel
2. Clean edges of coroplast and two strips in center with rubbing alcohol. Clean same places on bottom of solar panel.
2. Apply VHB tape to corplast and affix solar panel. Apply pressure to taped places.
3. Clean bottom of coroplast with rubbing alcohol.
4. Affix 3M Dual Lock to coroplast in four strips.
5. Scuff fiberglass with scotchbrite pad.
6. Clean fiberglass top with alcohol.
7. Remove backing from one strip of Dual Lock and affix solar panel to roof. Continue to remove backing from Dual lock one strip at a time. Apply pressure to strips but be careful to not press solar panel where it is not supported.
8. Don't drive van for 72 hours.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #28

R27d
Thank you very much! Guess I may have to wait until
spring at the rate the weather’s going! Zero fall, and full-on winter since a few days before the end of October. Are you on the west side of the Sangres? Just wondered if you were close enough for me to get a look at your setup? I may have my valleys mixed up though.
God bless....and thank you again, the materials are more important than a lot of people realize, so your
list is invaluable!
ConnieKat
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #29

Garage
Here's what I used to attach my flexible panels - Scotch 15lb. VHB

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Outdoo...dp/B0083K36KA/

I added red lines to the picture to show where I ran the VHB tape. Installed in May, seen a few thousand miles and holding up well.
Attached Thumbnails
20190620_174525 - Copy.jpg  
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote