Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Solar Panel Mounting - 3M VHB

I have two of these 100w hard panels for my build. I'd like to mount with the white 3M VHB tape and seal with Sikaflex 521UV. What do you guys think? Good or should I just screw them down? I have the particle board liner under my fiberglass top.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #2

Garage
I personally have a hard time using any type of tape or adhesive (although others have done it) - my question to you would be "how confident would you be with the mounts when you're traveling 70mph against a 40mph headwind...with other vehicles behind you?" Then consider the same question 3 years from now.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Garage
Yes, use screws or bolts.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

Through bolted with a fender washer on inside. Make a nice cover for the nuts on the inside or use caps. Sleep well.

IF you are dead set on the the tape, then you would need far more surface area than the seven sq inches on the bottom of each mount (and an umbrella policy).
Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

I used VHB tape. However, it was a flexible panel and we taped underneath THE ENTIRE panel. So I would not trust those feet with holding with only VHB tape. I trust my setup because there is no gap under the panel.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

I have had a panel blow off and it was not held down with tape but with an aluminum frame bolted to the roof. The wind folded one panel back over the other quite cleanly although the end result was rather messy.

I'm sure you've gotten the point from all of the posts above. The wind is strong. Respect it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

Well, I just spent a couple hours on the lake fishing and didn't catch anything but I did a lot of thinking. I'm not sure I need solar on the roof right now and I'd rather wait and put them on a rack instead of directly to the roof. I have a 50a charger from the main batteries and perhaps the money for panels would go better towards an ungraded alternator that can handle that output at idle.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

I just added a panel to my rig, I already had a Yakima rack system on top not as low profile as I would like but I am using what I have.so I attached it with aluminum angle to the racks. I had to replace the through bolts on the racks since they were rusting apart . I used 1/4” galvanized since stainless steel eats up aluminum. Through bolts are always best.
Vana White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #9

Solar is sweet.

Always there as long as there is daylight and the panels are clear. Better charging profile for your batteries. Leave the fridge on 100% of the time.

Looks like you are nearly there except for the holes to mount the panels and the feed through for the power cables. I am guessing you have the solar controller?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #10

I will grab a pic of my setup in the am...
But I am running a 65x39 residential size panel using VHB and Renogy brackets for a year now with no issues.
I live in Phx and we got to 115deg this summer, black roof and black panel. As a double check for my next build I climbed up the other day and could move the entire rig by pulling/pushing on the panel.

Oh and I drive 80 all the time and have dealt with crazy cross and head winds.

All I did was VHB, nothing else and it works great.