Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #11

Garage
Very useful info - Manufacturers should include a copy with every panel sold.

Sure wish i had read this 6 month ago, prior to installing my replacement Panel - believe I would have done it differently.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Jeff, if you are wiring three panels in series, your VOC is around 70 volts? Can your controller handle that??
Yup, it's rated for that.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #13

[quote] Each cell also can provide 9.77 Amps which is Isc.[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Jeff,
9.7 is correct and from the spec of my panel (that is the short circuit current, Imp is 9.15 Amps) .
Ok, it's per panel not per cell. I wondered if there was some magic taking place there. Thanks..................
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #14

[QUOTE=arctictraveller;221521][quote] Each cell also can provide 9.77 Amps which is Isc.
Quote:

Ok, it's per panel not per cell. I wondered if there was some magic taking place there. Thanks..................
No magic going on, but the current per cell and per panel is the same. Maybe I confused you using Isc or short circuit current. The panel is 180 watt or Vmpp = 19.67 volts, Impp = 9.15 amps. Each cell would than produce a Vmpp of 0.546 at Impp of 9.15. The cells are in series so the voltage of each cell is added together. 0.546 per cell X 36 cells = Vmpp of 19.67. The current in series is the same for each cell , so each cell Impp is 9.15 amps. This is in part the problem with shading, if you shade one cell and reduce its current capacity by 50% , than you reduce the current capacity of all the cells by 50%.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Scalf77;221566][QUOTE=arctictraveller;221521]
Quote:
Each cell also can provide 9.77 Amps which is Isc.

No magic going on, but the current per cell and per panel is the same.
-greg
Ok Thanks, I got it now. It's a pretty simple thought process, but lately even the simple things have escaped me. I'll post an example in a different thread. Thanks............
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #16

Garage
Realizing now I should have asked one of you Solar guru's 6 months ago, I have a question that I'm hoping one can confirm: If I understood my research (6 months ago!) correctly, I installed a new flat panel on the existing Aluminuss rack mounts (160watt), and when i did the install I also added "Signstek Y Branch MC4 Parallel Connector Adapter" to the cable just after the panel and just before it enters the pop-top - in theory allowing me to just plug in an auxiliary 100 watt panel (with an extended cord) that I could position in the Sun when the vehicle is parked in the shade.
With that clarified, does the same principal apply concerning shading? In other words, if my rood panel is in the shade I know its not producing, but with the auxiliary panel in the sun (and plugged into the Y-connectors) I assumed I would still get a relatively good charge...correct??? (All panels have diodes - was under the impression this would prevent any negative type of "back flow"). So, Was my assumption correct, or do I stand in front of you an idiot?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

You are correct, the key being that the aux panel would be in parallel.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #18
GAR

Is anybody using a foldable solar panel similar to the one linked below? Im considering this over a fixed roof solar panel. Would be used to keep a 3-way RV reefer's batteries charged.

Gar

FM16-7200 120W foldable solar panel - PowerFilm Solar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #19

Gar, am I completely out of touch on how much folding panels cost because the panel you referencing shows up in a google search around 1200$

On another point. The great advantage to permanent mounted solar is its always there to make power. Even a tiny panel will make more power if it's just there compared to a big panel that has to be deployed. It's my experience that solar is like a dripping faucet that adds up to a lot because its all the time vs full flow faucet that your waiting for.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Solar Panels and Shading

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Is anybody using a foldable solar panel similar to the one linked below? Im considering this over a fixed roof solar panel. Would be used to keep a 3-way RV reefer's batteries charged.

Gar

FM16-7200 120W foldable solar panel - PowerFilm Solar

Gar- I think the long term longevity, or lack thereof, of the flexible solar panels out on the market has been well documented over the years. I could be wrong but it looks like the panel you referenced is of similar design in that the solar cells themselves are flexible. Even if the cells are small rigid units mounted to a flexible panel, I would still be cautious of it holding up long term. The connections between each cell will be flexed when deploying and when putting away for storage, something that will no doubt put stress on those contact points.

I supplemented my roof mounted 137W Kyocera with one of the Renogy suitcase units, they are available with/without their own charge controller. It works great as a supplement to my mounted panel and gives me some flexibility to maximize my solar input.

Without controller

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-wa...-o-controller/

With controller

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-wa...olar-suitcase/

It also looks like they have one with a waterproof controller
I added an external plug in that is connected to my charge controller

I made a storage box for it mounted under the rear shelf
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote