Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #11

Thanks Greg:
I am able to read the info on the back of the 60watt suitcase solar panels from the sticker. It reads Zamp solar, LLC. portable 60watt solar charging system Model #ZS-60-P
Elec ratings
at STC (1000w/ AM1-.5 spectrum, cell temperature 25C)
All values are nominal unless designated as tested.
Peak power (PMax) 2*30W
voltage (Vmp) 17.9v
current (imp). 2*1.68A
Open circuit ?1.6v
Short circuit current (isc) 2.1.81A
Dimensions. 145. 645 60mm
Some of these numbers or letters are a bit hard to read-smudges and fade outs.

The bottom of the panels on the roof of the SMB are unable to be read and not accessable.
I looked for paperwork for their installation, i had bought and had them installed I think back in 2010 at the SMB facility in Fresno, but so far I have been unable to find anything.
I'll keep looking. If I continue to come up empty I may have to call them and who knows they may have records of be familiar with details as to what brand, specs etc of solar panels they were installing at that time.
I'll keep looking.
Thanks again, John

JohnMclafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #12

So, I believe that SMB is big on Zamp. In any event if you could measure the panels we could estimate how many watts based on the common panel efficiency of that year.

I would suspect that your portable panel has its own solar controller, if it is the one that was sold (6 Amps) with this units as a kit, it would be not handle the additional input from your panels that are mounted on the van. This means you would need a larger controller.

Also I would still need pictures of how the wiring is done at the panels, post some pictures if you can. There are various ways to do this, a lot depends on the accessibility to those connectors at the panels. Otherwise you need to some additional wiring work. This isn't impossible, but may not be the simple project you were hoping for. Feel free to PM if you like.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #13

Thanks Geeg:
The panels on the roof are 2, each measuring 25.5 in x 56 in.
Cable which leads from the panels into the top of the roof is sealed.
Directly below the entry point the cables are basically inacessable, but I was able to sneak my iPhone into the area a take a picture. On the outside surface of that area there is a monitor. No exposed wire.
The install was done on July 13, 2009 at Sportsmobile.
I left a message by email giving them as much information as I have and asked them if they would be able to search through their records and provide me with data. Schematic drawings, specs etc and do not know if they will have that kind of insformation.
I have some photos I just took and have not yet figured how to get them to you. I tried to send them to my desktop and them onto the "insert image" tag above tme message I am now typing but have failed. I'll keep trying.
Thanks.........John
Old 02-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #14

John, first you could upload photos to your photo section on this site, and then link to that photo. In any advent the fact that the wires from the panels are sealed and go through the roof and the connect to the controller pretty much rule out the easiest approach. The hope was that you would be able to disconnect panels from controller in the van and then run wire over to portable panel with newer larger controller. While it could still be done it require additional work inside, you would need a selector switch and some form of outside connector. It could still be done, but would be more difficult.

I suspect the panels are probably 95 - 125 watt. We would need to know exactly how they are spliced at the top, as in parallel or in series. I believe the Blue Sky controller could handle the higher voltage output of the panels in series. In any advent you would need a 20 to 30 amp solar controller for your portable or trailer setup.

The other option would be to switch the controller output, so you could run
to the trailer. This would be more problematic because of length cable, battery matching and other issues.

-greg
Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #15

Thanks for your information Greg:
The fact that the van system is sealed is a blessing and protection which I am grateful to the installers at Sportsmobile. However, for my present project of linking it would seem that entry into the system is very problematic.
Maybe I should just buy a larger capacity portable solar screen fold up panel and link it up with my 60watt and buy a controller which would match up..I would have two independent systems, but probably be much simpler all around...What do you think?
John
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #16

John,
That would probably be the best solution.

-greg