Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #11

LastBlackE350
That’s exactly what I was thinking! Were your’s already applied to the metal sheets? Or did you do it yourself? I’d be interested in finding out what metal, how thick it is? And an approximate size. Also the wattage per panel?
Thanks so much for sending the photos!
ConnieKat
PS-Any idea who ( electrician, solar, camper/RV stores) would be my best bet to get this done?
ConnieKat

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #12

OMG!
I just realized you are, or must be pretty darned close to where I am. Perhaps I could see it sometime? I’m off Reed Road.
ConnieKat
Old 08-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

sorry, misread that last one! What I get for reading too fast......
Old 08-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #14

BCam
The solar panels are self-stick, with heavy-duty adhesive. The idea was to be able to stick them directly to your van or boat! They were developed by
a marine solar company.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #15

Sierraoneill
Take a look at the black van on here! This may well be what I will have to do eventually. Great to have the photos when I talk to whoever ends up installing this
setup. And I prefer this to a huge roof rack, as shown in previous photos.
ConnieKat
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #16

Yep, looks exactly like my top, at least so far as I can see under the rack!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Sierraoneill
Take a look at the black van on here! This may well be what I will have to do eventually. Great to have the photos when I talk to whoever ends up installing this
setup. And I prefer this to a huge roof rack, as shown in previous photos.
ConnieKat
Only thing I think about and wonder is if there is any flutter of the panels with the gap under them. I think the flutter would not only result in a shortened life span of the panels as well as it possibly flying off when going 70mph down the freeway!

I thought of doing something similar but putting say 1/8" Aluminum sheet under the panel to give it some more rigidity, but that also makes it way more dangerous if it flies off if only mounted with adhesive tapes.

That's the same roof situation I'm dealing with though, except I have not decided exactly where to cut the hole for the fan, but likely a similar spot as seen on that Black van.
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #18

Some installers suggest using corrugated plastic under flexible panels to keep them from getting too hot and negatively affecting the cells. ()

If you use that under the panels, you can adhere something under the plastic at points to reduce the curvature without losing too much. I think flexibles shouldn't be bent more than 30degrees.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #19

Sierraoneill
Hi there, I ‘ve been considering that too! I have wondered if the panels could be mounted ( with screws) to the rain gutters on each side, and maybe
run wires attached to the front, then ( also) to both sides of the gutter....but a lot farther forward?
I have talked with some others who have used a type of specialized adhesive to “ glue” the panels directly to their roof, but around the vent fan opening.
They claim to have had zero problems with anything
coming off or flying off...even at 85 mph!
I can’t recall the name, but I believe it was a “ marine” product, since they also have the solar panels on their boat! Makes me think that it must be
very sturdy stuff since a marine environment takes more of a “ beating” than a typical RV.
ConnieKat
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #20

Jpau00
Did you have yours installed that way or is it a diy? Do you know what kind of adhesive was used? I’d really prefer mine to be attached directly to the fiberglass
roof, and have heard that it’s possible...from about 5 different people! The corrugated layer is new to me, and I think it would have to be very small, but wouldn’t that create yet another place for the wind to get under the panels?
Thanks,
ConnieKat