Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #21

The Battery monitor that comes with the Ctek kit is a Clipper BM-1. It has a 100A (max current) shunt and works well.

Highly recommend adding the Ctek battery sense module so you can keep track of your batteries via bluetooth on your smart phone. It acts as a data logger for your State-Of-Charge which is nice.

We have both in our Transit. They are two independent devices so don't always reflect the same SOC. The battery sense tracks voltage over time and the BM-1 tracks amp-hours in and out.

hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #22
Site Team

I have the Clipper BM-1 in my teardrop and it does everything I want it to.

Herb
Old 10-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #23

(Sorry for the additional thread hi-jacking)

Is the battery sense module anything more than tracking voltage? It also says batteries "up to 200ah/hr". I'm still trying to figure out what items I make keep and use. I have a magnum 2000 watt inverter/charger, remote control and battery monitor kit with the larger shunt that thought to tell me a fair amount of information. I'm likely going to use at least one switch pros unit in the van, running off of the house battery, which provides real time voltage via bluetooth as well.

Seems like the BM-1 and the battery sense would be sort of redundant for me, and due to the 100a shunt it would have to bypass the inverter power.

Hein I would really like the chance to come out to Hood River and check out your rigs sometime. I think I'm all stocked up on thinsualte and ez cool, but I sure could use some help or input with your experience on wiring in the sprinter. I'm trying to keep most everything independent of the factory wiring, but I do want to switch my aftermarket head unit (plus amp and the powered alpine sub) between starter and aux battery with a single switch. My main questions stem from concerns about integrating the existing steering wheel controls and backup camera (I have a module that's supposed to do this), and upsetting the factory electronics while switching batteries. I'm sure you've got factory wiring manuals and know your way around the sprinter electrical system...
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
One thing I think you will love about it, no switches, external controls or programming. So there is no need or ability to think about it, tweak the programming or anything like that.
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
lol me too, believe me. But I have enough switches, knobs, breakers and screens to mess with in the aircraft that I fly for work.
I don't get the impression that otter does. I think the average person wants it to just work in the background unmonitored and the ctek setup seems to be just that.

But some of my reasons for going with the ctek option are
1- my wife can't mess it up (I think. Hope.....).
2- no controls for my 18 month old and 3 year old to get at. I have a few control panels (inverter remote/monitor, furnace control/timer, switch pros 8100) and they will all be mounted high up on the wall above a cabinet. I'd love to do a blue sea marine style panel with flush battery switches and stuff but I need to have everything out of sight and reach more or less.
3- I find that when I have the ability to tweak something, I never stop.....
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
(Sorry for the additional thread hi-jacking)

Is the battery sense module anything more than tracking voltage? It also says batteries "up to 200ah/hr". I'm still trying to figure out what items I make keep and use. I have a magnum 2000 watt inverter/charger, remote control and battery monitor kit with the larger shunt that thought to tell me a fair amount of information. I'm likely going to use at least one switch pros unit in the van, running off of the house battery, which provides real time voltage via bluetooth as well.

Seems like the BM-1 and the battery sense would be sort of redundant for me, and due to the 100a shunt it would have to bypass the inverter power.

Hein I would really like the chance to come out to Hood River and check out your rigs sometime. I think I'm all stocked up on thinsualte and ez cool, but I sure could use some help or input with your experience on wiring in the sprinter. I'm trying to keep most everything independent of the factory wiring, but I do want to switch my aftermarket head unit (plus amp and the powered alpine sub) between starter and aux battery with a single switch. My main questions stem from concerns about integrating the existing steering wheel controls and backup camera (I have a module that's supposed to do this), and upsetting the factory electronics while switching batteries. I'm sure you've got factory wiring manuals and know your way around the sprinter electrical system...
If I wanted my battery monitor to port to my phone via bluetooth I would recommend the Victron BMV 712, the 712 has built in Bluetooth.

Magnum has their Mag-web option (pricey) that can send data to your personal web page. It requires a internet connection, it's use in my opinion is limited (works well to monitor your RV while parked at the house, for example) all the magnum data can also monitored via a serial port 485 connection.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote