Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #1

solara out of business what about these?

http://www.emarineinc.com/products/C...ar-module.html

Sun Ware, Sunware, semi flexible solar panels (for word search use):

I am planing a solar setup for my home built E-350 high top and was looking for something low profile as the high top is HIGH. I am thinking of mounting them under a roof rack system and want to be able to step on them if i need to get up there to get gear down or to clean the roof. I know the price for these are high but it would be worth it to me for the low profile setup. Before considering spending this kinda dough on them I wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with these panels and if their customer service is up to par. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SovereignCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #2

Re: solara out of business what about these?

Does 69 watts meet your needs?
- Have you done the math re:
Power consumption from amp hours storage times?
then
watts from the solar array times sunlight into a controler?
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Under a roof rack system??? Do you know the affects of shadow cast on solar panels or do you plan to pull the rack when you need the solar?
Never seen that make but they seem like a well made product. Heat might be an issue but if room is critical, you got to live with it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

Seems expensive, per watt especially. If you've already got a roof rack, do you need the compactness?

What are the effects of shade or shadow on a solar panel? I assume a flagpole shadow (solid section), tree (dappled over say half the solar panel) and grating over 100% would have different effects.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #5

I think instead I'm Going to go with two of the High Flex (HF 130-6-16) 130 watt panels. The price is a whole lot better, They Are Made here in AMERICA. I can pack it up in hail storms or strong winds, or store it for better security and still be able to mount it on top of my future roof rack. I'm doing a DIY build and I appreciate you guys' input and being patient with me. I plan on two 4Ds to run ac, furnace, full size separate compartment Norcold fridge, TV, Playstation 3 etc. I want to be able to boondock easily and stay out long without shore power or running the engine. Hince the big fridge size. more food = less resupply= more time having fun.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

you guys are right about the roof rack blocking the PV cells and keeping it from collecting light, but I was thinking of a setup where I could move the cross bars to keep that from happening.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

I think just on the rack is better:

depending on what you're using the rack for.

Still I had a couple of ideas:
1. slide out on large drawer sliders (prob. bad due to wind)
2. make an access panel that folds up to expose the solar- if you're packed no solar. I was picturing this more with a mesh floor rack.
3. Make an H panel that flips over to expose solar:

You would still have either solar or storage solution and the solar would be protected when not flipped for use.

But again, I don't know what the shadow from 4 or 5 bars across the panel is... I was thinking a mesh floor rack or one like above, not something more open in design.
Attached Thumbnails
solar_rack.gif  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

how about making a bracket that would slide out from under the rack and then fold down like those ladder racks do on the side of the van for easier access? You could even have some kind of prop that would rest against the side of the van to give it the right angle to point it at a 45degree angle toward the sun. I like the idea of being able to use the rack and the solar at the same time and not taking up rack space with the panels. I also like the idea of the rack protecting the panels from falling branches and hail. The mesh bottom cargo rack idea would be great for protecting the panels. That heavy gauge diamond shaped lathe.

http://www.shopsar.com/wire-grille-mesh-s/1116.htm
OR
http://www.wiremeshexim.com/wire-mesh.html
Attached Thumbnails
folding ladder rack.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

The issue would be weight. If you had a solid top it might be something to consider if you frequent overcast weather. For me with 2 135's, Im fully charged by 10AM on any clear day even if I'm in a little shade for a while. I have a spare remote panel and have rarely used it in several years. Some people need a constant heavy supply of amperage during the day, but my load is usually only the refrigerator and battery charging.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote