Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

Sourcing flip-down TV with tuner (not just monitor)?

I searched the archives (and Google) to no avail. I'd like to install a 12-volt TV (with tuner) in my SMB and would prefer to go with a flip-down, ceiling-mount one. But all I seem to find are monitors only, without tuner. Has anyone here done a similar install, and what unit did you use/where did you get it?

I'm looking for something around 13-15" or thereabout, and will use the built-in SMB rooftop hidden antenna for TV service. I'll run DVDs from my dash stereo/DVD headunit via a cable.

Edit: I have found one or two that meet my requirements, but they are around $1,000, which is crazy (http://www.my12voltstore.com/12V_10_Fli ... 00tvbk.htm)

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

Re: Sourcing flip-down TV with tuner (not just monitor)?

I have a Jensen 15" LED 12 volt TV and use it to play DVD's from my van radio and DVD/CD player like you want to do. It is model # JE1512LED. The person that chose it for me had done a lot of research and also owns the same model. I do not use it as a drop down so it may or may not work for you. It has a removable base. (but they sent the wrong base the first time). I got it this spring.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

What about a remote tv tuner and a regular drop down tv?

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=10980581

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

I thought about the separate tuner, and may end up going that route. It's just that the tuners seem to cost as much as a stand-alone LCD TV! It might make the install a bit cleaner, though, to use the external tuner, as my rooftop antenna connection is inside one of my side cabinets.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Brian ,
Contact Sports Mobile and inquire as to size , brand and cost of the unit and let the Google search begin if not convenient for to costly thru them .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Garage

You might want to consider getting an all-in-one computer. They have a tuner built in, DVD or Blu Ray and function as a regular PC. I have 23" model but they also have a smaller 20" that starts at $500.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/inspir...20-2020-aio/fs
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

The all-in-one PC is kind of a cool idea, but is a bit overkill for what I'm looking for. I looked at the 20" in the link, but it unfortunately doesn't offer the TV tuner option.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

We had a very nice 17" DVD , TELEVISION AND REMOTE CONTROLLED STEREO UNIT installed at the time of our build thinking that it would be nice for the Grandchildren , the reality is that it has been used only three times in five years and all three times I had to sit and enjoy a Chick Flick with my Bride . We actually spend as little time in the SportsMobile as possible even in inclement weather , preferring to be out of doors .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

PS. I have used the TV to watch one DVD so I am glad that it is up in the cupboard, under my clothes, not taking up any room. Just nice to know I have the option.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #10

I agree, we definitely don't plan to use it too much, which is why I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on it. But I figure we have a DVD source (dash stereo headunit) and built-in TV antenna in the PH roof, so might as well have the option. We travel with our seven-year-old son, and while he isn't a big TV watcher, having the option for a rainy day or night where we are stuck somewhere would be nice.

I do already have a 15" LED flats screen, 110v, that was pretty cheap ($79). I was originally going to mount that on one of the rear cabinets, but when I got to thinking about it I figured a drop-down TV would make more sense and take up less space. Also, a 12v would make things simpler wiring-wise and draw less battery juice, too.