Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Sportsmobile Inverter/converter?

Hello, I use a 1500 watt inverter but am wanting to upgrade to a converter/powerverter, whatever they are called. I installed a nice Intellipower converter in my trailer (now sold) a few years back that just required plugging in when I was home, no switches, no other task at all, just plug it in and it was charging. Is there something made that will serve this function but also act as an inverter since all of my power is now AC? Presently I have to unplug my inverter and plug in shore power, i'm just trying to simplify. What does SMB use?

thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #2

Re: Sportsmobile Inverter/converter?

Well, a little research is telling me that I'm probably after a Xantrex inverter/charger or a Tripp-lite powerverter. The Tripp-lite looks much more appealing at around $500 and the Xantrex smaller ones seem to have a rep for loud fans that run all of the time, but I'd love some more input.
I'm looking at the Tripp-lite RV1012ULHW.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I think you're way better off going with a inverter/charger over a converter. I've found most converter/chargers are substandard to inverters/chargers when dealing with charging issues. I'm not saying there aren't some nice ones out there, but most converters do not have multi stage chargers on them and the ones that do are about as expensive as a high end inverter/charger. Converters are more suited for larger RVs that have large loads that need to be run off DC. Many of these have chargers no better than an automatic automobile charger...not a good way to charge up your house battery.

When looking at inverters, decide whether you need a modified wave AC output or a pure sine wave output with the correct wattage you plan to use, then you really should make sure the charger is a multi stage charger. High end inverters allow you to program the inverter to suit your needs. Many high end units will also come with remote control panel that supply you with information on voltage, amperage, min max charging values and parameters and things like alarms and other data that can be helpful at times. Do you need all that...no, but its been useful to me on occasions when troubleshooting some problems I've had in the past. JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Sportsmobile Inverter/converter?

Thanks Dave. Looks like the Tripp Lite does everything I need at a good price. I've already got my needs/uses down, I'm just looking for a better solution than my loud, cheap Cobra inverter. I'm hoping someone will chime in that has one of these (Tripp Lite) inverter/chargers that can tell me about fan noise/frequency. The Cobra has a very loud fan that comes on constantly when I'm driving. It seems to be triggered by incoming voltage from the alternator. The fan never comes on while camping even when it is providing AC power.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

FWIW the only complaint I've heard with some of the trip-lite inverters is they may trip your home GFI

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Reviving this old thread... I'm doing a home build, and want to be able to use fridge on 120 when plugged in as well as charge batteries, and when disconnected, have some 120 available. Don't have any specific needs other than charging an iPad or something, but who knows.

Looking at something like the Tripp Lite RV1512UL.

Good? Bad? Better option?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

That is the model that I ended up getting. So far I havent had any issues with my Tripp Lite. No GFCI issues either. There are some other threads in here on the same subject. I use mine exactually the same way you are planning.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Mine is still doing fine also at about a year now. I generally keep it plugged in to shore power on invert/charge, but sometimes I switch it to pass-through only, which keeps my fridge and AC appliances running without constantly charging the batteries. It is a 'smart' charger which supposedly won't cook a battery, but I still let them sit idle from time to time.

Absolutely no complaints with Tripp-Lite's product!