Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Sprinter Cargo Door Problem

I'm having an intermittent problem with my 2017 Sprinter 2500 cargo (sliding side door) giving a "door open" message, even though the door remains closed and locked.

I've had this checked out at a Mercedes dealership twice. The first time the service advisor says a problem was found with some "blocks" that were not aligned properly. The adjustment/repair seemed to work for awhile, but the problem reoccurred. The second time this problem was looked into by the same Mercedes dealership, no problem was found with the door. However, the service technician implied that the lack of sufficient clearance between the upholstery on the door panel and the interior components of the van were preventing the door from closing properly. I do not buy this argument, since the door does latch securely and will sometime stay latched for 100s of miles of travel before giving the "door open" message. This occurrence does not even correlate to rough, bouncy roads. Sometime this happens even on smooth asphalt roadways.

The real problem of this happening is that I have an automatically deployed step that activates as soon as the "door open" signal is generated. This is not a real problem, when driving on a highway, but I'm concerned about the step deploying, when on a narrow, rough, 4x4 type road.

To reset the error message, I have to stop, unlock the door, open the door and close it.

This problem seems to be getting worse, occurring more frequently.

I've also noted a strange speed related behavior of the error message. I can turn off the error message via a control button on the steering wheel. If I'm driving slowly (such as in heavy city traffic), the message will return fairly quickly; but as I get back up to highway speed the message may stay off until my speed drops considerably.

I'm thinking that there might be a weak or loose connection somewhere in the circuit, probably in or on the door, that is breaking a circuit and giving this false door open message.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution or suggestions for troubleshooting?

KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 sprinter, cargo door, door open indicator, sprinter, sprinter 2500