Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Spurious Low Fuel a few miles after fill 2006 E350

I have a 2006 E350 SMB. Too often after filling it throws a low fuel indication, pump light on, guage at empty, soon gets a CEL for a fuel flow issue. Apparently this can be caused by topping up on filling. I no longer do that, stopping when the spout trips. I read somewhere that the computer keeps track of fuel level and miles driven and if it doesn't go down fast enough, triggers this alarm. After about 50-100 miles or so it disappears and acts normal. The problem is I have to keep clearing the CEL to make sure it isn't masking something important. It doesn't happen on every fill, but enough to be really annoying. Any solutions out there?

wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

Gas? Your evap vent may be plugged. Flying insects somebody build nests and plug that up.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #3

Sorry, Diesel
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #4

There is a connector for the fuel level sender under the van somewhere near the tank or the fuel filter housing. I can't remember exactly where, but can try to get a pic tomorrow if you can't figure it out. A few years ago I had this happen to me, once, when I was leaving for a gig with my trailer attached. I knew I had plenty of fuel, but I all of a sudden had the low fuel warning with the gauge reading low. I was worried that the computer would trigger the low fuel limp mode after so many miles and I'd be screwed.

I got under the van, found that connector, pulled it apart and put it back together. My fuel level immediately went back to normal and it's been fine since. So, there may be some oxidation happening in that connector causing a weak or intermittent signal. Thanks for the reminder that I should get under there again and treat it with some contact cleaner and protector. Hope it solves your issue, as well.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks. It has reset now so I have to wait until the next fill to see if it makes a difference.