Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Starcool/Danhard update

I had a Starcool A/C installed when I had my conversion done to a 2000 E350 PSD XL van in 2006. In 2009, I replaced the Starcool with the Danhard upgrade in order to run it on a single Honda 2000i with a Triplite 3000W inverter.

This set up worked until 2016 whereupon I discovered a couple of problems:
* The house battery was being destroyed by the heavy recycle loads every time the a/c kicked on and the inverter had to be recharged.
* Once the start cycle was completed, the remaining amperage from the Honda while it was powering the a/c was insufficient to fully recharge the house battery.
* I upgraded the battery to the gel variety HD Interstate version of the stock fitment by SMB but this also could not produce enough amperage to keep the a/c running after the inverter was discharged.
* I overhauled the Honda in case it was rev limited by poor gas

I then discovered that full size and Trailer a/c units were being powered by a single Honda 2000 after being modified by the Micro-Air Easy Start device. I discussed with Danhard whether this would work with their unit and they had no knowledge of the Micro-Air product but advised they had developed one for their unit as part # 29-2109. So I purchased one for $159 and change as it was half the price of the Micro-Air product and was designed for the unusual Danhard installation. I decided not to fit it myself as the wiring diagram supplied bore no resemblance to my installation nor the Starcool or Danhard wiring diagrams that were supplied. So I asked my a/c contractor to fit it. The first attempt was a bust: it could not run on the Honda and eventually cooked itself. As I could not prove a defective unit, I bought another and had the the owner of the business do the install as he had some experience with RV installations. This was successful. A single Honda unit will now power the Danhard again.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The Micro-Air Easystart device's function isn't that new to electric motors but this is the first I've seen or heard of something available for the RV market. Its a great idea, that it allows a Honda 2000i to properly power the Danhard unit so much the better.

Congrats on the install--sometimes we have to use professionals even for "jobs so simple anyone can do it........"
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #3

Indeed the function is not new by any means but its deliberate micro processor controlled application for RVs relative to 15 amp (nominal) sources is relatively new in the last 2 years or so. The Danhard version has no micro cips just big condensers but it did restore the ability to remain with my 15 year old H2000 rather than being forced go the new 2200 or the supposedly better 2500 watt Westinghouse.