Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Re: Starting Battery Voltage

My van (2002 7.3) has started instantly since the day I bought it... until yesterday. I took it in for installation of the rear sway bar (great improvement!), and when I picked it up, the engine would crank but wouldn't turn over. Eventually we got it started with a jumper/starter. I drove home. It restarted a couple of times after 10 to 15 minute drives with no problems, and then after a third trip, it wouldn't start. Again, the engine would turn over, but it was weak, and the voltage dropped significantly while cranking. Unfortunately I didn't have the Scanguage hooked up. We got jumped again, headed home (about 10 minutes), and then let the engine idle for 15 minutes to recharge.

This morning, tried to start it, and no luck. Very low voltage while the glow plugs were on, and it stayed low after they went off. Whatever juice was left could barely turn the engine over.

Based on the collective experience here, do I just need new chassis batteries, or is there something else I should look into?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
My van (2002 7.3) has started instantly since the day I bought it... until yesterday. I took it in for installation of the rear sway bar (great improvement!), and when I picked it up, the engine would crank but wouldn't turn over. Eventually we got it started with a jumper/starter. I drove home. It restarted a couple of times after 10 to 15 minute drives with no problems, and then after a third trip, it wouldn't start. Again, the engine would turn over, but it was weak, and the voltage dropped significantly while cranking. Unfortunately I didn't have the Scanguage hooked up. We got jumped again, headed home (about 10 minutes), and then let the engine idle for 15 minutes to recharge.

This morning, tried to start it, and no luck. Very low voltage while the glow plugs were on, and it stayed low after they went off. Whatever juice was left could barely turn the engine over.

Based on the collective experience here, do I just need new chassis batteries, or is there something else I should look into?
Unfortunately, there seem to be many variables which can act as single point failures in such a complicated machine.

Not sure if any of this applies to the 7.3L but you might want to read these threads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297&hilit=+icp
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3665&hilit=+tow

Herb
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #13

15 minutes isn't enough to charge a dead battery. Hook it up to a charger overnight and try again tomorrow.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #14

If your factory batteries have lasted 7-8 years, you are very lucky. Anything more than 5 years is very good.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #15

Thanks for the info. The upper battery date is 9/06, so it is middle-aged. Can't see the lower battery without dropping it. The van is on the charger tonight. Assuming start-up goes okay in the morning, I'll head to Les Schwab for a load test on both batteries.

Good news is that the house battery is still fine with 12.7V. It's also on shore power tonight. Now if I would just read the manual and figure out how to tie it to the chassis batteries for back-up.

I guess it's better to find this out now than later this spring in the Sierras or on the White Rim. That thought is a little scary.

Will provide results once this is resolved.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #16

There is a stud on the upper positive (+) battery terminal block connection that the cable from the lower battery connects to (there is a large brass nut on it). This stud is notorious for "pulling" out of the lead terminal block if it's been overtightened. Make sure this gets checked when they replace your batteries.

If it is a problem, simply have them pull the stud all they way out, then using a 3/8" drill bit they can drill through the terminal block where the stud was mounted and use a bolt and nut to secure the cable. This operation was performed countless times at SMB.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #17

Jumped the van again today. Once it was running, my Scangauge said the van voltage was 14.2 off the alternator. All the connections on the upper battery looked good.

I took it in to Les Schwab. Load test on the upper battery (installed 9/06) was 950 amps. Lower battery (from Napa, installed 9/07) was 220 amps. I went ahead and had them change both batteries as that seems to be the consensus here on the forum, and I didn't read the owner's manual on this one. Maybe this weekend...

Anyhow, problem solved. Thanks once again for the guidance!

Jack
Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

On the trip up to my cabin in June, I noticed the Volt reading on the Scan Gauge jumping all around erratically. Sure enough, after a week or two sitting at the cabin, the reading on the Gauge was 7.4V. Jumped it with my truck and drove it around and it would start for about a half hour then wouldn't start anymore. After reading Scatter's story, I talked to him and decided we had identical problems. Took the van (No small deal!) off island to my (Not very) local Ford dealer and they replaced the Alternator and both starting batteries; one of which had a dead cell, and the other was completely toast. Fine now: even readings on the Scan Gauge and truck starts.
But that's not the reason I'm writing... I asked them, as long as they had the alternator out and the whole top of the engine was accessible, to put in new fuel filters and check the EGR valve. They did that and the fuel filters and labor was a little over $200. To check and clean the EGR valve (It was pristine at 28,000 Mi.), was over $300.00 The whole deal (filters and EGR valve )was $551.08 Another reason to learn to do this stuff ourselves... I figured that as long as they were in there it would be simple. They charged me flat rate for EACH procedure. MY fault; next time I'll ask. It seems Ford DOES have a better idea!
Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
Jumped the van again today. Once it was running, my Scangauge said the van voltage was 14.2 off the alternator. All the connections on the upper battery looked good.

I took it in to Les Schwab. Load test on the upper battery (installed 9/06) was 950 amps. Lower battery (from Napa, installed 9/07) was 220 amps. I went ahead and had them change both batteries as that seems to be the consensus here on the forum, and I didn't read the owner's manual on this one. Maybe this weekend...

Anyhow, problem solved. Thanks once again for the guidance!

Jack
I only got about 3 years out of my Ford starter batteries. One day the van just wouldn't start. Didn't even have enough power to turn over the starter. I got it jumped and then drove it for about 300 miles with no trouble. Figured I was OK since by then the batteries would have re-charged. Nope. Next day in the Sierras the van would not start or even crank over. To save a camping trip I had to buy new starter batteries and install them myself. Huge PITA. Lesson learned, at the first hint of battery trouble, replace asap or at least have them checked by a professional.
R
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Site Team

That is so wrong. I'd give the service manager a call and explain the situation. There should be some "efficiencies" to be found in performing multiple, related services.

Herb