Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #11

gets worse

The van was independently built. There is no special switch for the stereo. Just an aftermarket Kenwood that is hooked up in the typical fashion with the addition of a back up cam wired into it. So the issues are.
1. Radio does not turn off when key is pulled from ignition with ignition in off position.
2. I can enter my van and turn on the radio without the key in the ignition.
3. If I have a podcast, Pandora etc running on my phone, my stereo will power on and pickup the bluetooth signal and start playing. This is when the stereo has been manually shut off when exiting the vehicle previously. And no key in ignition.
4. May or may not be related but it started about the same time. The seat belt chime goes off every 30 seconds or so and as if the seat belt is not engaged. I ended up pulling the wire.
5. Yesterday I plugged a 12 volt male into my accesorry 12 volt receptacle and the stereo went to start up mode. Basically erased all presets, time and wanted me to do the initial start up procedure.

I am perplexed.

darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #12

Have you checked the battery voltage?
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #13

Garage
Right, others have reported strange gremlins that turned out to be caused by batteries with low voltage.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

Garage
I would make sure your radio hot wire is wired where you want it. Some people want their radio to run anytime they turn it on.
If you want your radio to only operate when the switch is on then pick a wire that is only hot when the key is on.
Your radio memory wire needs to be hot all the time so you don't loose your presets. I think it is yellow....but it's been awhile since I have wired one up. You should be able to find your radio wiring diagram on the web.

I hope you figure it out.....
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #15

Garage
The same question I posed in post #2. If all this started after a backup camera replacement I would look at your head unit wiring harness. Also look at the grounding for the instrument panel and dash board. If you have a lifted ground components will seek ground through other components.
This link might be helpful.
Also download a wiring diagram from Kenwood.
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/support/

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-stYvAcNH2OC/
Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #16

Door switch

Check to see if the stereo turns off when you open another door. My driver's door switch is out but I just open the passenger side or other door and the stereo will turn off. I still need to locate the switch to fix the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar66 View Post
So just recently my Kenwood stereo quit shutting off when key is pulled and door gets opened. I physically have to power off my stereo. It will also turn on when I approach the vehicle with something running through my bluetooth on my cell phone. I also have a Clifford keyless entry/ alarm. It seems everything else operates as normal. I am mostly full time in my van and this has become a pain in the ass. Appreciate any knowledge out there.
seanincarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #17

Give up

So I have located the ground and wiring harness and all looks as it should. Although it may be internal. Passenger door does not turn the radio off so it is safe to assume that the driver door sensor/ button is fine. I have made an appointment with a local auto electrical shop here in Portland. I will be wintering in Baja and do not want to deal with an electrical problem down there. Thanks for the advise. Keep on wandering.
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote