Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

Stupid Idea? Battery Tender to Power MPPT

I installed a Victron 20 amp MPPT solar controller over the summer. I added an SAE connector port to the outside of the van. I have a Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp and Battery Tender 3 amp chargers. The both have the same SAE connector. I am wondering if I could plug either of these Battery Tenders into the solar port to supply voltage to the MPPT so that it can smart charge the my house battery? Would that even work or is it a dumb idea?

The van has the stock SMB Progessive Dynamics converter with the 4 stage Charge Wizard which I don't think is the best charge controller and I know it doesn't have temp compensation. I would like to use the new MPPT to maintain the battery while the van is in our shop for the winter. Plugging in the PV panels is not really an option because winters here in the Pacific NW doesn't have any sun for a good 5 months.

What do you all think?

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

You would have to be able to set the battery tender at a constant voltage or power supply mode, which it won't have. There are some power supplies that you could use, but again you have to careful as to the type, or you could destroy both supply and or controller.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Ok I was figuring that it was a bad idea. I will stick with the charge wizard. I don't really want to install yet another charge controller so I will leave it as is.

Thanks for the feedback!

Derek
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote