Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

superchipped PSD 7.3 hesitation when cold

I reprogrammed my 7.3 psd with its superchips programmer to performance the other day to test it. I ran the car about a mile down the road and then gave it gas. The throttle response was waaaaay better, but then it fell on its face and clattered loudly. I let off the gas and it ran fine, but if I floored it, it would do it again. I stopped flooring it and drove it back.

I checked codes and it had a fuel pump code and a couple others that did not understand. I don't think that they were "stored". But I don't know.

Then I put it in "performance tow" mode the next try and it seemed to run better. I towed a 1500 pound trailer with it and it ran really well to Eastern WA and back -- no problems. It was much faster and had WAY better throttle response.

Yesterday I drove it cold again, same "performance tow" setting, and it did the hesitation thing again. Then it warmed up and stopped having the issue.

Is it just cold? Have any of you experienced this?

pinsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Re: superchipped PSD 7.3 hesitation when cold

My 7.3 would hesitate and die actually when the batteries were going. Only cold- like in the first minute or two after starting, before that little RPM kickup period. Actually once, all the way down the street from my house it seemed like it wanted to die. Since the new batts it hasn't happened (although a lot of other stuff has )
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Can you bring it back to stock, and then see if the problem persists? Personally, I would be very cautious about driving any vehicle that's behaving erratically. You could be doing some damage.

Herb
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Shoulda gotta 6.0!!!
Bill
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #5

I agree that I should be careful -- not so sure about the 6.0?

But, it appears to run fine and I am not hammering on it. I will try returning it to stock this weekend.

Man, the chip sure helps with throttle response. I feel like it has loose throttle cable at the stock setting. It's fine on cruise, but I have to push the gas a long way to get her to move unless the chip is on.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #6

I would think you need to take it easy on any cold engine, especially a diesel. Due to the nature of the beast, diesels need a lot of heat to work properly.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

um yeah. I think you are right. and I am first to admit that I am new to the diesel thing. I was not hammering on it, btw. I just drove a mile down my hill and gave it some gas and puhturrrrrr, cough.

I am going to take it easy from now on. I can tell they warm up slowly. How long do you let it warm up?

P
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Site Team

I think taking it easy on a diesel is important for longevity, but cold, warm or hot, a diesel shouldn't stumble.

Herb
Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #9

yeah thinking back, I was not "flooring" it. I was probably 2/3 to 3/4 throttle.

I am new to diesels. I am not new to cars. I've been building and racing cars for years. But i have never owned a diesel. I am familiar with standard turbo issues (cool down, warm up). I have built my share of motors and cars and destroyed my share as well.

The chip is pretty great. I can tell you that. it makes the van way more drivable.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #10

My edge Platinum and one of the early Banks programmers have and had a feature that prevents over acceleration when the Diesel engine is below recommended operating temps .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote