Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Kinda of like the 6.0 PSD. Should you take precautions or not...some have issues others don't. I'll let the owners come to their own conclusions but most know I spent the time to replace the Surepower way back and I also bullet proofed my 6.0 engine. Now I'm not sayin...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #12

I suggest if someone has a SurePower contractor replace it.

When I bought my van used I admit I was very naive about 6.0 PSD engines and Sportsmobiles. It has been a fun, but expensive, adventure. The Sure Power contactor in my van burned up/cought fire within the first year of me owning my van. So some time in 2010 I plugged into shore power 110v in my driveway and after a few minutes the van was filled with smoke and smelled electrical. My contactor is under the gaucho seat so smoke was pouring out from around the cushion. I yanked the cushion off and threw it out the door fearing it was on fire but fortunately it wasn't. The SurePower can section (the coil I believe) was burning. Perhaps it wasn't the best thing to do but I dumped whatever I was drinking on it to put it out. In hind sight it wasn't necessarily on fire with flames shooting out but it was defiantly burning inside. When I put the contactor on the work bench to investigate everything that wasn't metal was reduced to carbon. I replaced it with the Blue Sea version which has worked perfectly ever since.

Back then I was realizing my van had a lot of weird electrical done by many people when the previous owner had it. So when this happened I thought it was plausible that cross circuits could have contributed to it's failure. Around this time I started to re wire a lot of my van more simply and with circuit protection. After a few years and I got on this forum did I realize there was a known issue with some of the SurePower units. Looking in hind sight perhaps it was just a bad part. I don't know if mine was in the recall. I threw it away. Should have taken a picture i guess.

So I suggest replace it if you have one of these. The 200 ish bucks the blue sea unit costs is way cheaper than your van on fire.

If I can be of assistance please ask.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Seeing as it appears the Relay is the part that burnt up (Surepower does not make the Relay, Trombetta ), so the control module must be over driving the relay coil. I would think that a fuse in the ground line would have prevented fire, it would be interesting if either of your installs had it.

The initial install instructions did not include the installation of a fuse in the ground line so certainly Sportsmobile did not install them in the beginning. I am not sure if they ever did or just moved to the Blue Sea in one step.

If people were intent on keeping them, I would at least make sure the ground had a fuse in it.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #14

Mine did not have a fuse in the ground line.
eruddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #15

It's been a few years and a lot of projects since I replaced mine but I don't recall any fuse on the ground wire. What I do remember is I was never impressed by how warm it got when energized. Perhaps a warning I should have researched.

The Blue Sea line of remote battery switches have a lot of desirable qualities that I've been much happier with. Most notably that they are latching and not using any power in either position.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
The Blue Sea line of remote battery switches have a lot of desirable qualities that I've been much happier with. Most notably that they are latching and not using any power in either position.

-Eric
I agree, and there is enough pluses on the Blue Sea side to make the change regardless of issues with the Surepower.

-greg
Old 01-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #17

Greg, in the wiring diagram in the video you made, and in the wiring diagram in the Blue Sea instructions, it looks like there should be fuses on the lines from the batteries to the 7620/2 stud terminals A &B. Though in the Blue Sea instructions it says that if it is to be used for cross connect, fuses between terminals A and B and each battery are not required. I am using the 2146 switch to provide manual cross connect (I) and Isolate (O) function. So I am assuming I don't need fuses (circuit protection) on these lines. Is that right? I am replacing a Sure Power 1315 which SMB installed originally and they had no fuses on those lines. Of course, it did overheat and burn up so I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks.
eruddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #18

So, in reality sportsmobile probably did not install either of the fuses I am referring two. Both of those should be placed close to the battery and I believe that the cross connect that they are referring two is a single sourced power line.

I see the the statement in their instructions, so I understand the confusion, but their wiring diagrams don't support that statement. Actually we would have to look it up in the ABYC guidelines. Might be worth a call to Blue Sea to have them explain. In either case installing it with out the fuses would put comparable to other Sportsmobiles with the Blue Sea installed. I don't expect that RIVA says you need to do this in their electrical code.

I don't believe if you had fuses in those positions that it would have prevented the flair up, the fuses would not have blown in time.

I have a V10 (battery in engine compartment) so this is what I did

-greg