Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #1

Surepower 1315-200?

Could someone explain to me how the 1315-200 isolator works?
I guess I know the general idea but what Im looking for is when the engine is first started does the 1315-200 only let the starting batteries charge? If so does it charge those up to a certain voltage and then switch over to charge the house battery? Does anyone have what voltage it has to see before it will switch and start charging the house battery?
This seems to be how mine is set up and working, Im just trying to clarify if that is correct.
I know some brands charge both at the same time, then switch back and forth to the one that needs charging, then others will only charge one at a time and only switch when one hits a certain voltage?
Thank you
TraceyAZ

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

Re: Surepower 1315-200?

Once you start the van and the voltage goes above 13.2-13.5V the surepower is activate and you will be charging both batteries. This can be altered by how the start assist circuit is wired up. One way was to wire it to the start circuit of the van, so when they key was turned to start it would activate. It has also been wired to the run circuit, this will also activate the the surepower when the key is in run (Most of the time this would mean you have voltage above13.2 -13.5 volts. You may also see the start assist circuit going to a switch, it may be momentary (preferred). The switch could also activate the surepower. Also because we are talking about the 1315 it is bidirectional so when charging your house batteries (plugged in or solar) if that voltage goes above 13.2 - 13.5 the surepower will engage. The surepower will open when the voltage drops below 12.4-12.9V

hope this helps

Also, if you believe that the surepower is really activating but not charging the house batteries while driving, you may have built up a contact resistance on the solenoid, in that case it would either need to be cleaned or replaced. To check if the surepower is activating you need check the two smaller terminals going to the solenoid. you should see voltage across these two terminals, it will be around 12 volts. You can purchase the solenoid parts by itself.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
Once you start the van and the voltage goes above 13.2-13.5V the surepower is activate and you will be charging both batteries. This can be altered by how the start assist circuit is wired up. One way was to wire it to the start circuit of the van, so when they key was turned to start it would activate. It has also been wired to the run circuit, this will also activate the the surepower when the key is in run (Most of the time this would mean you have voltage above13.2 -13.5 volts. You may also see the start assist circuit going to a switch, it may be momentary (preferred). The switch could also activate the surepower. Also because we are talking about the 1315 it is bidirectional so when charging your house batteries (plugged in or solar) if that voltage goes above 13.2 - 13.5 the surepower will engage. The surepower will open when the voltage drops below 12.4-12.9V

hope this helps

Also, if you believe that the surepower is really activating but not charging the house batteries while driving, you may have built up a contact resistance on the solenoid, in that case it would either need to be cleaned or replaced. To check if the surepower is activating you need check the two smaller terminals going to the solenoid. you should see voltage across these two terminals, it will be around 12 volts. You can purchase the solenoid parts by itself.

Checked on a few things and this is what Im finding.
First is upon engine start up there is no charging going to the house battery. If I disconnect the ground wire from it I do hear it disengage and when I plug it back in I hear it engage again. But it still is not giving me current to my house battery.
So thinking that there may be resistance built up in it (dirty parts) I unhooked the ground again but this time I very quickly and many times touch and untouch the terminal with the ground wire to realy rattle the unit. It seems to wake up after that and is giving me a charge once I reconnect the ground. Now the charge it is giving me is in the 13 plus volt range. It is not the same as the other side (incoming from start battery) that side is in the low 14 volt range. I thought I read somewhere that these two sides should be the same or at least very very close.
Ive checked the 4 other metal legs that come from the solinoid to the smart diode section and one seems to be a ground, One gives the same reading as the incoming lug from the start battery, one gives the same as the outgoing lug (house battery) and the last one gives a reading less than the incoming (about 13.07 volts)
Ive got a fresh house battery coming in on Friday, after that I guess I will check further, but it seems to me that I might have a failing 1315-200?
Can the build up resistance that cause these to fail be sped up by the atmosphere the van resides in? Wet enviorment vs. dry? Or is it just something that happens to all?
Thanks again Scalf77
TraceyAZ
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Tracy,
In the attached picture you should be able to measure the across where it shows the yellow and green wires and get 12 volts ( I do not remember the polarity but it should not matter)

Sounds like your solenoid is sticking, contact resistance is more a byproduct of a low wetting current then outside environment.

Hope this helps

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Thank you Greg,
I am getting 12 plus volts now. Maybe my "rattling the door" technique helped it for the time being.
I started the engine and with in just a few seconds I heard it all engage and start charging.
The diagram you sent was great, thank you. On the wires you said to check I am getting the 12 plus volts now. Before I was not, so Im thinking this is an intermitent issue with the 1315-200 of mine. Might be on its way out. I just got word my new house battery will be here on Friday, so once that gets installed I will watch and see how the 1315-200 works and either replace or repair if needed.
I am going to install solar so I might want to replace it with something more geared for that sort of application?
Thank you again Greg for your time on this!!
Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
Tracy,
In the attached picture you should be able to measure the across where it shows the yellow and green wires and get 12 volts ( I do not remember the polarity but it should not matter)

Sounds like your solenoid is sticking, contact resistance is more a byproduct of a low wetting current then outside environment.

Hope this helps

Greg