Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Mike it seems your 97 is a bit of an "off" year there is a instrument cluster listed for 97-98 excursions, then jumps to the 99- 02 model, they look the same. I didn't find a diesel one on ebay but heres an example of that year for a gas engine excursion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-For...YAAOSw8-tWT9NW

These guys repair them, maybe they could answer your questions and fix your issues.
Good luck
I'll have to sticky this somewhere for "future upgrades"... What's the legitimate way to document that the replacement odometer has the same mileage as the old one (I suppose a side-by-side photo would do?)? If the guys rebuild them, they can (probably?) set the mileage to whatever they feel like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Let’s see some pix!

Only one I messed up was the cc light. There was 2 options and I picked the wrong one. Next time cluster is out I’ll swap it to the other option. Luckily my tach worked.

We’re you able to get both high range and low range lights to work? I was able to get the 4wd light but it would be cool if the other two worked.

I also had a local guy swap out all the bulbs to led. Helped out a lot.

You have pics of LED lights/part# for them? I've long thought about those just to have them brighter during the day time, even though it really isn't needed. Dimmer switch still works with the LED's, or is it an all-or-nothing?

Erik

Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

Garage
Dimmer still works as it should, but I don’t know the part numbers for the bulbs. I remember looking and finding the bulbs before I farmed it out to the local dude though. Iirc it was the superbrightleds,com site. My main objective was to get my odometer to reflect my actual mileage. His fees for the bulb upgrade was small enough that I had him do everything at once.

Edit, got the led bulb source wrong. They have a disclaimer of course, so make sure you’re ordering the right ones before hitting that pay button...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...=775&year=2003
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Mike it seems your 97 is a bit of an "off" year there is a instrument cluster listed for 97-98 excursions, then jumps to the 99- 02 model, they look the same. I didn't find a diesel one on ebay but heres an example of that year for a gas engine excursion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-For...YAAOSw8-tWT9NW

These guys repair them, maybe they could answer your questions and fix your issues.
Good luck
Thanks, I'll shoot them a message.

The Dakota Digital module will adapt my CTO signal to work on a gas tach, but that may be really stretching to mod my donor cluster that much more.
mikejana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I'll have to sticky this somewhere for "future upgrades"... What's the legitimate way to document that the replacement odometer has the same mileage as the old one (I suppose a side-by-side photo would do?)? If the guys rebuild them, they can (probably?) set the mileage to whatever they feel like.

You have pics of LED lights/part# for them? I've long thought about those just to have them brighter during the day time, even though it really isn't needed. Dimmer switch still works with the LED's, or is it an all-or-nothing?

Erik
I did not replace indicator bulbs with LEDs. I like LEDs everywhere else, but don't want to mess with warning and caution lights that may depend on certain impudence values to function properly.

I actually set mine to zero;

I have a new engine from Ford,

a new (rebuilt) tranny from dieselsite
a new OEM New Venture transfer case,
Both axles have all new parts .
I figure it's almost a new life and I don't plan to sell it. I just want to track my adventures.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow; I kinda involved adding a receiver hitch so I can tow something next week.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post

Erik
Your old odometer unclips from the old cluster and pops into the new one. They don't just come apart so you can't change the mileage very easily, they come out as an assembly.

Look near the end of this link for more info.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...o-swap.309623/
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Your old odometer unclips from the old cluster and pops into the new one. They don't just come apart so you can't change the mileage very easily, they come out as an assembly.
The older style "clockwork" type odometers can in fact be manually reset to show the real or current mileage for the vehicle it would be transplanted into. I've done this but it is a bit tedious. I wouldn't classify it as terribly difficult but if its important then it can be done.

FWIW I've had several older style odo's disassembled where every single part was separate. After several attempts I successfully reassembled it, still working even to this day.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #17

Quote:

They come out easily and are not that difficult to manipulate.

The tachometer signal seems a lot more difficult to manipulate in my case
Old 05-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #18

I did the same, also out of an excursion (03 if i remember right) and had the same problem like you. I ended to bring the tach to a special shop to adjust it to the signal i need. It was not cheap but worth every cent.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer View Post
I did the same, also out of an excursion (03 if i remember right) and had the same problem like you. I ended to bring the tach to a special shop to adjust it to the signal i need. It was not cheap but worth every cent.

Do remember where you took/sent the tach?

I'm not sure where to locate that kind of specialty shop.