Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Tachometer Cluster into an E350 7.3

Hello,
Just did a ujoint conversion on my 97 E350 cutaway. She has a fiberglass Cube from Born Free RV and was originally outfitted by Vantazma in Florida as a mobile showroom for a uniform salesman. Also has a new Ford rebuilt 7.3.

This weekend I swapped an instrument cluster from an 01 Excursion 4x4 diesel. The goals were: tach, 4x4 and low range lights, green back lighting instead of blue.

The swap went quick and easy, I used the EVTM manuals for both the donor and my van and re-pinned the E350 connectors.

A nearly perfect conversion, foiled with one problem.

The Tachometer is reading about double of actual RPM.

CTO is connected to Tach input

Tach select 2 on the gauge's printed circuit goes to nowhere, so need to bother with it.

At 680 rpms (on my scan gauge);

with tach select 1 disconnected it reads 2000 rpms
with tach select 1 powered it reads 2000 rpms
with tach select 1 grounded it reads 1100 rpms

I'm running it Tach select 1 to ground. Any advise for correcting the tach would be appreciated.

Thanks

mikejana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

Mike I did the same swap but from a 03 F350 into my 02 7.3 EB
I didn't have any problems with the tach.
Heres a link to my writeup, maybe there is something in there that can help you.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...o-swap.309623/
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Mike I did the same swap but from a 03 F350 into my 02 7.3 EB
I didn't have any problems with the tach.
Heres a link to my writeup, maybe there is something in there that can help you.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...o-swap.309623/

Thanks, I actually read your write up in my pre-swap research.

Very helpful; Thank You!

The part number on my donor Instrument console says it is for 99-01 light truck E250/350/excursion so probably the same as yours. Both were diesels and my CTO goes to the same #12 pin on the 16 pin connector. I'm guessing it's just a different signal on the 97, OBS 7.3?

Looking for a way to adapt?

Did you find a fix for your ABS light? I find it funny that there is no change to the circuitry running the Dark Green wire to a bulb (I even moved the bulb and socket from the E series cluster) and it still cues an ABS warning.

A side note, I took the white plastic and electronics from the F/Ex cluster and used the E/van black plastic and clear bezel. I had to mod some of the whit plastic to mate them, but it makes for a much better fit into the dash.

Thanks for the reply
Old 05-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Mike, the last few posts from another member "JMayhem" in that link tells how he got his ABS light to go out. He is a small circuit analyst, sharp guy. I have yet to do mine.

I think you might be right about the different signal/voltage for your tach.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #5

carringB said this in an old post.

"You need to find the same generation F-series cluster, which would be '99.5-'02 with the same type of motor (diesel, V10, or V8) otherwise the pulse count for the Tachometer won't match unless you also add a signal converter."

Someone else said this.

"Dakota Digital makes adapters which will work with our sensors and standard tachometers.

The signal coming out of the factory IDI tach sender is a small AC signal at 53 pulses per rev.
So your adapter must be able to handle 53 pulses per rev and divide it accordingly".
Old 05-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

Mike, I may have found the info that you need to fix your tach problem. I guess I'm not sure if your 7.3 is a IDI or not. Being a 97 it should be a PSD. Bit maybe a Chassis cab is a little different. If so the link below is pretty informative.

Sounds like you have to try a instrument cluster from a IDI diesel F truck

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...r-swap.280477/
Old 05-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #7

Thanks, My cluster (according to the part number) is for a 99-01 f250/350/Excursion, it is diesel and 4x4.

I'll check out the thread, Thank you
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #8

Called the folks at Dakota Digital. They recommended a SGI-100BT.
Ordered and opened SGI-100BT and call their tech support line.
SGI-100BT, and none of their other products will fix my tach.

Any other advice is appeciated.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #9

Mike it seems your 97 is a bit of an "off" year there is a instrument cluster listed for 97-98 excursions, then jumps to the 99- 02 model, they look the same. I didn't find a diesel one on ebay but heres an example of that year for a gas engine excursion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-For...YAAOSw8-tWT9NW

These guys repair them, maybe they could answer your questions and fix your issues.
Good luck
Old 05-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

Garage
Let’s see some pix!

Only one I messed up was the cc light. There was 2 options and I picked the wrong one. Next time cluster is out I’ll swap it to the other option. Luckily my tach worked.

We’re you able to get both high range and low range lights to work? I was able to get the 4wd light but it would be cool if the other two worked.

I also had a local guy swap out all the bulbs to led. Helped out a lot.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote