Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #11

Garage
Re: The Correct 4D house battery connections

Geoff, I noticed over the past year or two that the reading on the Blue Sky controller, which shows battery voltage, rarely got above 13v and it used to top off at 14.02. It hangs around 11.5 to 12.5. This January, it wouldn't power the microwave enough to heat a dinner and it didn't provide enough juice to properly fire up the Espar furnace, which I really wanted at night. I finally figured the battery was 5.5 years old and must be the reason for both those malfunctions.

I got it from Powerstride Battery Co. in Ventura, with many other locations in SO CA. $595. They deliver to auto shops in Santa Barbara and dropped it of at my tech's place for him to install. They are driving up again Monday to swap the battery for the other terminal type with no hassles.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
...I got it from Powerstride Battery Co. in Ventura, with many other locations in SO CA. $595. They deliver to auto shops in Santa Barbara and dropped it of at my tech's place for him to install. They are driving up again Monday to swap the battery for the other terminal type with no hassles.
I've used these same guys in Ventura for a few things like load-testing batteries, making custom battery cables, and making heavy duty cables to the DC compressor I have in my Bronco. I'll likely have them either modify or make custom new cables for my Superwinch on the Bronco. They have spools of heavy duty cables and a wide selection of clamps and terminations.

Herb
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #13

What is the problem with Universal? That brand is what SMBwest installed in my build in early 2012.

Has anyone any experience with lithium batteries?
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolden
What is the problem with Universal? That brand is what SMBwest installed in my build in early 2012.

Has anyone any experience with lithium batteries?
Oh I could be totally wrong about my statement but usually you get what you pay for. A few battery makes (or models) are less effected by some of the poor battery maintenance we seem to put our batteries through. I've seen some early "Universal brand" failures compared to other makes, but understand that SMB has not been using them that long and really there is not enough info out on them. I will admit all I've heard is the bad and not the good. The funny thing is that I think EnerSys is the manufacture and they do put out other makes that are very well built. If you look at SMB's point of view, what they install needs to last what the warranty dictates and no longer, so price is a large factor. For those who loose their batteries on a continuous basis due to storage or poor charging habits it might be better to go with something cheap to replace. On the other hand, higher end batteries are more forgiving and seem to last longer.

Lithium batteries are great but expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if better technology isn't too far off on the horizon.
It's up to you whether or not you need to spend for what is needed to upgrade your battery system.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Site Team

I think there might be some cold weather challenges if you had a lithium vehicle battery.

Herb
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #16

Wonder if I could just rip the batteries outta a junked Prius....

Be cautious about those battery adapters if you have some combo that involves auto posts. The torque of heavy 2g battery cables jouncing around can work them off, depending on the angle.

For the life of me I dunno why they're still using those friction posts. I'd love to scrap them in the engine compartment, since things like winches, radios, lights, etc. want to connect there. A bolt arrangement with a bus stock would be nice. But the cables are so short and complicated on my year Ford I don't dare cut them and try to put on new terminals.

Rob
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Geoff, I noticed over the past year or two that the reading on the Blue Sky controller, which shows battery voltage, rarely got above 13v and it used to top off at 14.02. It hangs around 11.5 to 12.5. This January, it wouldn't power the microwave enough to heat a dinner and it didn't provide enough juice to properly fire up the Espar furnace, which I really wanted at night. I finally figured the battery was 5.5 years old and must be the reason for both those malfunctions.

I got it from Powerstride Battery Co. in Ventura, with many other locations in SO CA. $595. They deliver to auto shops in Santa Barbara and dropped it of at my tech's place for him to install. They are driving up again Monday to swap the battery for the other terminal type with no hassles.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Our battery is still reading around 12.8 after sitting from a full charge and is usually somewhere around 12.3 - 12.4 in the mornings after a night of cold camping. I'm sure it will be in the same situation as your battery soon, but might as well stretch it out as long as possible. We are at 5.5 years also, but we do not have a microwave, or an inverter which may help. Glad it is all working out for you. Safe and happy travels...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Wonder if I could just rip the batteries outta a junked Prius....
Rob
I've been thinking that for a while. I just wonder what they will be worth. When the thieves were stealing spare truck tires they shot up in price. Still if the industry is flooded with those type batteries...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote