Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #11

There's also the membership to consider. I live 30 minutes from a Sam's club and 3 minutes from a Batteries plus with no membership so it is definitely a consideration for some. You're probably right about simplicity of returns. It's almost silly how easy it is at Walmart to return something.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #12

I ended up buying the group 31 AGM deep cycle battery from Sam's club. I couldn't justify buying 2 55ah group 34 batteries (2x for $240) to match the 105ah group 31 batteries ($180)

I am going to reroute the battery inside.

I am reading that AGM is perfectly safe inside of the van, correct?
caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #13

Yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #14

Can't speak for the Bosch batts, but I just got done installing two of the Duralast AGM 65's from autozone (they are right down the street from my house) and they work great so far as starting batts with the cold weather in CO. I figure if I'm going to be hard on the batteries, AGMs would be the way to go since they can be deep cycled and still come back from the dead. Only a 3 year warranty though so I guess we'll see.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
I ended up buying the group 31 AGM deep cycle battery from Sam's club. I couldn't justify buying 2 55ah group 34 batteries (2x for $240) to match the 105ah group 31 batteries ($180)

I am going to reroute the battery inside.

I am reading that AGM is perfectly safe inside of the van, correct?
In general if all goes well, your AGM should be fine inside, but if you have issues (overcharge) it can definitely still outgas. Do not ever run a equalize cycle for a AGM battery mounted inside. AGM's are not normally equalized, but there are times when it can be recommended, also be careful of any charge profile that may have a built in equalized cycle.

Also, try to make sure you're other electrical equipment is not mounted in a way that the intake air could be coming from the battery.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
There's also the membership to consider. I live 30 minutes from a Sam's club and 3 minutes from a Batteries plus with no membership so it is definitely a consideration for some. You're probably right about simplicity of returns. It's almost silly how easy it is at Walmart to return something.
I'm finally pulling the trigger on a new battery for my wife's diesel VW Passat, so I checked Sam's Club and Batteries Plus among other places.

A Group 48 Duracell AGM Platinum is about $10 more at Batteries Plus, but it has a 48 month free replacement, versus a 36 month free replacement at Sam's.

Herb
Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #17

I hooked up the battery to my continous duty solenoid and at idle it's only charging at 13.7v. Is this normal at idle? I haven't tested it while driving.
caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
I hooked up the battery to my continous duty solenoid and at idle it's only charging at 13.7v. Is this normal at idle? I haven't tested it while driving.
13.7 is plenty IMO, at idle or during driving. I've seen up to 14.3 but my LCD battery meters move around between 13.3 and 14.3 while driving. I'd say you're fine.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I hope the Bosch AGMs are good, I have one in my Crown Vic, but it's only a few months old, and it's just used as a starting battery, not a deep cycle.

Herb
Well, just had my Bosch AGM starting battery replaced for my Crown Vic. Had OK voltage, but according to the load test at Pep Boys, the CCA's were way down. After I pulled the battery, I also noticed some bulging of the side walls.

Pep Boys was great. Load test and free replacement; in and out in 10-15 minutes with no hassle.

The battery was only about 30 months old which is disappointing, but the battery came with a 48 month free replacement warranty.

Herb