Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #11

Will Prowse gives SOK batteries a good review as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=will...client=gws-wiz

Here's his take on several LiFePO4s:

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html

And here's a video on heaters:

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #12

This is the only thing I have found .

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:36 PM   #13

Good links, Bob! And Greg, I appreciate the sleuthing! That fills in the missing pieces from the line drawings in the Kisae manual.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #14

I haven't watched any of Will Prowse video's. I am just not a big YouTube video guy.

This is a good write up on LifePO4 Batteries from a boat perspective by The Marine How To guy. Rod Collins is very knowledgeable guy and provides good data.

LiFePO4 Batteries On Boats

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #15

Can somebody with greater technical expertise help me out? I have a 2006 SMB diesel with Quigley 4X4, standard SMB interior with refrigerator and lights but no microwave or other heavy current draw appliances or accessories. I have the SMB installed solar controller and one solar panel.

I've seen other posts that talk about converting to a lithium battery but that required extensive modifications to the electrical system. Will Power's site from the link quote above calls the SOK battery a drop in replacement for a lead acid battery. Is that the case? Could it be a simple replacement for my current AGM battery (the same model that was stock when I purchased my SMB)? Based on the other posts I've seen, I'm still somewhat confused.
pbwebb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #16

Garage
Another option you may consider is Carbon Foam batteries; sort of “middle ground” between Lithium and AGM (draws down 80% like Lithium, but has 3X’s the Lifecycles than AGM). Used a lot in the Marine industry.
https://www.totalbattery.com/product/firefly-energy/
Old 03-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Another option you may consider is Carbon Foam batteries; sort of “middle ground” between Lithium and AGM (draws down 80% like Lithium, but has 3X’s the Lifecycles than AGM). Used a lot in the Marine industry.
Would this be a "plug and play" type replacement or would it require additional modifications to the charging system, etc.?
pbwebb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #18

Garage
pbwebb,

While it isn't recommended to just drop a lithium into a stock system (for reasons that are explained by Greg in many other posts), that's exactly what I did with my van. I dropped in two Battleborn batteries in 2018. One of the big drawbacks to doing this simple drop-in is the potential to harm your alternator. This is due to the fact that lithium batteries can charge MUCH faster than lead-acid or AGM and as a result, they can put too much of a load on your alternator and burn it up. I kept this in mind when installing my batteries and decided to just see what happened. Well, I've been running the setup as-is since December of 2018 and have had zero issues so far. The batteries charge so well while driving the van that I haven't plugged into shore power for the sole purpose of charging the batteries since I installed them. Before that, I had to keep it plugged into power to keep the lead acid batteries topped off whenever the van was sitting in the driveway. For me, it has been a game-changer. I have SOOO much more useable power now and never worry about how cold I have the fridge set or how warm I have the thermostat for the furnace. My system is an old one: my van was built in 1998 and as such, it has the 160amp surepower isolator and a progressive dynamics charger/converter (with charge wizard) and no inverter. Your system may give you different results based on which equipment you're running. The Progressive Dynamics 9100 series WILL charge your lithium batteries when set to boost mode, but it may not charge them to 100% capacity (something I'm fine with, since lithium batteries last longer when not charged to 100%). My alternator is the stock alternator that has been rebuilt by a company in Lemon Grove, which is very close to San Diego.

I hope this helps.

Kurt
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:32 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwebb3 View Post
Would this be a "plug and play" type replacement or would it require additional modifications to the charging system, etc.?
No modifications needed.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I've seen several references to these and have been intrigued. I checked out the link you gave, plus the specs on the Firefly 12VG31 (https://webstore.totalbattery.com/Fi...1-p/12vg31.htm) and have the following comments:

1. One advantage LiFePO4 batteries have is weight. From what I can see, the carbon foam battery weight is comparable to, or at least not dramatically less than AGMs (and more than LiFePO4s).

2. They also seem to be in the same price range as premium LiFePO4 batteries like Battle Borns.

3. I can't find an amp hours spec, just 720 CCA, which isn't important for house batteries.

4. For what it's worth, there are zero reviews.

Based on the above, I'd still go for the LiFePO4s.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote