Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #1

Tips on changing 3rd brake light high top

Hey guys, I just got a motorcycle hitch carrier and I’m trying to replace the 3rd brake light bulbs for more visibility. I removed the 2 screws and pried lightly on the red lens. I was able slip a knife around the top seal but the lens never broke free. The plastic seems brittle so I was trying not to crack it. Anyone replace these bulbs? Does that red lens just pop off?
Attached Thumbnails
7897A79A-C55B-4E89-9838-B050D388834D.jpg  

Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Garage
Mine just lifted off easily.
I did find the first time i removed mine to 'freshen' the bulbs that the wires had corroded, so bought a new one through Sportsmobile (would have to check if Field Van still has then for sale).
It's possible the last owner put some silicone around the outer edges of the lens to keep it water tight - would explain the fact it's not coming off easily.
I've trying to find a larger LED version to replace mine (something larger than the existing so its more noticeable and tall enough to cover the hole in the pop top but haven't found anything yet.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #3

I found the whole replacement assembly but I can’t remove the lenses or even the whole unit. I’m sure it will leak now

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-29...31704859&psc=1
Old 04-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #4

Garage
Did you pop the top and look underneath to see what (if anything) is holding it in place? It's possible the unit is wedged in the hole Sportsmobile cut for the light fixture (they weren't exact in everything they did).
Old 04-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Did you pop the top and look underneath to see what (if anything) is holding it in place? It's possible the unit is wedged in the hole Sportsmobile cut for the light fixture (they weren't exact in everything they did).
When you say pop the top do you mean the lens or the housing? Either way nothing has popped yet for me. I just order a replacement housing because something is going to break and I’m about to leave on a extended trip.

I took both screws out and I have pried all around the lens and the housing. The housing is a little looser but not by much. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing something like there are bolts on the inside of the van holding the horsing I place.

Edit:now that I think about the bulb access might be inside the van behind carpet.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #6

On mine I found the lens glued down, so it's not meant to be disturbed. Normal service access for the bulb would be from the rear. I ended up taking the rear top interior trim panel off to get to it. Not really a big job - the panels are held in place with as few screws.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Daves View Post
When you say pop the top do you mean the lens or the housing? Either way nothing has popped yet for me. I just order a replacement housing because something is going to break and I’m about to leave on a extended trip.

I took both screws out and I have pried all around the lens and the housing. The housing is a little looser but not by much. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing something like there are bolts on the inside of the van holding the horsing I place.

Edit:now that I think about the bulb access might be inside the van behind carpet.
if you raise the pop top, you have access to the back of the 3rd brake light housing - it actually sets in place outside of the canvas.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #8

One warning about that rear light. On the older gas (e.g before 2004) the crusade control ( with servo unit) has a safety feature disable speed control when you hit the brakes. If you use LED bulbs this may effect the servi units ability to self diagnose and the crusade control may not work. I know it sounds crazy but it is true and complicated !
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #9

Okay, I figured it out. There is carpet along the whole rear section of the van. I had to cut a slit to access the bulbs.

Mine is a fiberglass hard top not a pop top.

Thanks for the LED cruise control tip.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
One warning about that rear light. On the older gas (e.g before 2004) the crusade control ( with servo unit) has a safety feature disable speed control when you hit the brakes. If you use LED bulbs this may effect the servi units ability to self diagnose and the crusade control may not work. I know it sounds crazy but it is true and complicated !
Even though I have a 2006, I'll certainly keep this in mind in the event I start having issues when I find a larger LED replacement - Thanks for the heads up!