Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #11

Re: To solar panel or not to solar panel

We're sold on the solar panel. We like to camp in one place and not use the engine. The solar panel gets us by. We use the furnace and fridge but keep the lights to a minimum.

Rapidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #12

We ordered our SMB prewired for solar, which consisted of a charge control panel mounted on the base cabinet for our galley, and a receptacle above the right tail light. I was goosey about the flexible Solara panels being installed at the time (04). Since then, I hear that Solara is no longer in business in the US, and most of the Solaras have failed.

After a couple of years, it became evident that the house battery was OK for less than three days in one spot, but became pretty marginal after that, unless we were very parsimonious in our use of electrical gadgets. Since our van is garaged, it has to fit through a 8X8 garage door, and the top only clears by about one inch, the usual 1 1/2 inch thick panels wouldn't work.

After a lot of web surfing, I located a supplier of 30 watt (optimistically rated) panels with the PV receptor mounted on a 1/8" stainless steel substrate, which would only add about 1/2 inch to the height of the van. The panels have a predrilled mounting hole at each corner, so I spaced them off the roof with some rubber appliance feet from the local Ace hardware. I fastened them to the roof with metal roofing screws screwed into predrilled holes in the penthouse top, with a dab of epoxy in each hole before inserting the screws to waterproof them and keep them from unscrewing. I routed the wires through the front of the penthouse, outside the fabric, and fed them over the top of the fabric and headliner, through some spiral loom to the roof rails of the van body, and fished them down to the controller behind various body panels and cabinets.

I started with two, but decided I needed more juice, so added two more a year or so later. In full sun, they put out over 6 amps, which keeps both batteries topped off, even with some use of the microwave to heat breakfast rolls. I imagine they wouldn't work very well if it's consistently cloudy, but I usually want to pull up stakes and move on if the sun isn't shining.

There are photos of the installation posted in my gallery.

John Tarr
oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
One other thing to consider. Yeah, a solar panel and solar controller aren't cheap, but replacing house batteries that have their life cut much shorter by over-discharging isn't cheap, or convenient, either.

Herb
True statement! The big battery weighs like 150 lbs and is about $450 or more to replace. Average life for the battery is about 4 years. With a solar I bet you can maximize the length of use and make it last even longer.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #14

We have a 135 watt Keyocera panel and have sat for camping in one spot for 9 days without starting the van or being plugged in. The fridge was on the entire time. Granted one of the days we did drop in voltage due to cloudy weather.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I had 3 Solara panels that began to delaminate so I replaced them with 2 Kyocera 135W's. Probably could have got away with one but I have two 4-D batteries to charge back up. I get on average about 8-12 amps during the morning hours. Running the microwave on high is possible for an extended length of time, but that's kind of hard on the batteries so I usually use the microwave at a medium setting to re-heat food. The microwave pulls about 70 amps @ 12V when activated according to my gauge so really you're using the batteries to run it and the panels just charge the battery bank back up. One panel large enough to supply enough amps to run the refrigerator is generally all that you really need, but two panels help during cloudy days.

Something I was told is that many solar companies will not cover the warrantee if the panels are mounted on a RV. Definately ask before you purchase.

I also carry a flexable panel that stows under the lower bed. It's 65 watts and allows me to point it directly at the sun for maximum yield. Really helps on cloudy days or if I'm burried in trees.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #16

I also carry a flexable panel that stows under the lower bed. It's 65 watts and allows me to point it directly at the sun for maximum yield. Really helps on cloudy days or if I'm burried in trees.[/quote]

How do you hook this panel up?
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I also carry a flexable panel that stows under the lower bed. It's 65 watts and allows me to point it directly at the sun for maximum yield. Really helps on cloudy days or if I'm burried in trees.
Hi Dave,

That's a great idea. Wonder if you could give specifics: make and model, size, cost, where purchased, how you tie it in to the system, where and how you prop it up for proper orientation. Thanks!!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Hi Dave,

That's a great idea. Wonder if you could give specifics: make and model, size, cost, where purchased, how you tie it in to the system, where and how you prop it up for proper orientation. Thanks!!
Is it one of these foldable panels?

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-charg ... 2watt.html

Herb
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

It's one of the Solara's but because it's kept out of the sun 99% of the time, it still looks brand new. I have a plug located just above my passenger tail light and a couple of cords so I can move it out into the sun provided its not too far. The panel is stiff and stands on its own. If I were to purchase new, being Solara is out of the US now, I would look at companies like Power Film.
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/

I wish I had a plug on the front as well and may add it to my long list of to do's.
Attached Thumbnails
Img plug .JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #20

To solar panel or not to solar panel

The biggest problem with alternator charging is that you can't get to 100% charge. It maxes out around 85% or so.

While not a problem for occasional use, extended idle only charging (ie. never charging to 100%) will eventually hurt your batteries and cause them to fail sooner.

On the plus side, the alternator is great at bulk charging, getting you from 40% to 80%.

I still don't have solar and try to plug the van in for a few hours every third day if I'm running the fridge, to top off the batteries. Also, if I'm going to use the microwave through my inverter, I run the van at high idle to minimize the impact.

Solar is great but if you can't go that route, find a way to plug in often (outlet or small generator.)
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote