Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Topo Maps on Kenwood Head Unit

Just posting this to capture the steps I took to get topo maps on my Kenwood DNX6980 head unit/GPS. Some of the info came from KenwoodForums.com, but there was some info missing.
I will post pictures when I can. Not sure what other Kenwoods this works with.

I tested it this morning an it works great with the exception of having to reinsert the card every time you turn the Kenwood on...

1. I bought a Garmin 24k Topo map set, in my case this is "West" (WA, OR, CA, NV)
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource- ... 316&sr=8-1

2. Install the software (topomaps, and "Basecamp" software, from the DVD)

3. I upgraded Basecamp to latest version 3.2.2 just in case (you can prob skip this step)
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4435

4. I installed MapSource (free). It is Garmin's older software, but needs the topo maps already installed to work. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209

(from here on are the instructions from "Jacket" on KenwoodForums, edited for clarity)

5. Using MapSource, bring up your Garmin-compatible topo map set that you want to download to the Kenwood unit.

6. Select the specific maps/quadrants you want to download.

7. Stick your microSD card into the PC using whatever means you have (microSD slot, SDCard slot with adapter, USB stick with SD card piggyback).

8. Using MapSource, select Transfer to device, and MapSource should find the "removable memory" you have plugged in. Select that destination, and check the Maps option to transfer your selected maps.

9. Once complete, verify that a garmin folder was created on your card memory, and in that folder is a gpsmapsupp file.

10. Take your microSD card over to the car.

11. Power up the head unit and allow all features to load.

12. Stick the microSD card into the slot at the bottom left of the unit (label should be facing left). Push it in until it "clicks" in place. {ANZAC note: be careful you don't accidentally put it in the gap to the left of the microSD slot.....}

13. Select Nav in your head unit. On the screen that displays "Where to go?" and "Show Map", select the "Settings" option below Show Map.

14. Select Maps

14. Select "Info"

15. Here you should see both your preloaded CN maps, and the supplemental maps. Select your supplemental map to enable it.

"One "quirk" I've noticed is that if you just leave the microSD card in the slot, when you power up the radio after it has been off (like when you start the car), the maps on the SD card don't load automatically from the boot cycle. Once the system is up, you have to pop the card out and back in to have the additional map show back up on the menu. Not ideal, but I'll manage with it."

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote