Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

Touchscreen Battery Monitor Software

I wrote this to have access to battery information for the most part while I am driving. My problem is the XBM install is in the rear of the vehicle, and while I like the XBM, you would have to push buttons to cycle through the data. I purchased the Communications kit from Xantrex a while back. First problem was the software was not intended for touchscreen use, or being displayed on a 7" monitor, the second problem was how XBM would broadcast the data out the communications port every second. Unfortunately this would cause my system to think that it was mouse when booting up. From that point on where the screen went was based on the1' and 0' coming out of the XBM. Xantrex does have a Battery Monitor Communication Interface Specification so I was able to find that broadcast mode could be disabled and then you could request the data. So now when activated my software will request status from XBM about every second. It displays all of the XBM data and three of the status bits. I also programmed the three LED indicator to match that of my trip-lite inverter levels, (am I not sure if this is the same as the plug in voltage monitors). I expect that this will work with the Linkpro although you may have set it to communicate in XBM mode. I believe it has a updated communication spec.

Since I am in my beta stage, I have been taking the SMB to work the last couple of days and I can observe when the surepower will engage or disengage. The results have been interesting enough that it has already made the effort in writing the program worth it. Since I have a carputer installed in the SMB it was intended for that, but there would be no reason that you could not use it on a laptop. It connects to my carputer with a Serial port to USB converter, so all you would need to do is plug in a USB cable.

-greg

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #2

Re: Touchscreen Battery Monitor Software

Greg ,
Some of you guy's amazed me with your Brilliance ! i will be looking forward to your reports .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

Re: Touchscreen Battery Monitor Software

started another thread on my observations of the surepower viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4827

greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote