Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

Tripp Lite Charger/Inverter Repair

Hey guys,

Haven't been on for a while (because we have been too busy having fun), but our Tripp Lite RV2012UL inverter/charger has apparently shot craps. I spoke with a technician at Tripp Lite and he seemed to agree that the charger is fried somehow. Ugh.
The unit inverts great but will not charge the house battery at all when plugged into shore power. NOTE: The alternator charges the battery fine while running.

Since that unit is shoe-horned into its current location below the couch substructure, I'm interested in getting it fixed vs. trying to find another that will fit or that I have to reroute a bunch of wires to...

Has anyone gotten one of these things repaired and if so, who did you use?

I came across these guys through a simple google search and although they have a minimum repair charge ($250) that would be a drop in the bucket compared to the agony of a from-scratch installation of a replacement.

http://www.acsindustrial.com/mfrs/tripp-lite.php
Any experience or suggestions welcomed.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

Re: Tripp Lite Charger/Inverter Repair

Mine won't charge on shore power either and does sparingly while driving. I think my battery is toast but was interested in how you figured out your inverter was the issue?
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Tripp Lite Charger/Inverter Repair

According to the ACS repair place website, minimum repair is $250 and rarely does repair cost approach 50% of new price. Current retail is ~$1,000.

Amazon has the RV2012 UL for ~$620 with free shipping.

If it were me, I think I'd get the new one and either hang on to the old one for spare parts or sell it on eBay for somebody else that needs spare parts.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

Joeynick, if you find somewhere that has that unit for sale AND AVAILABLE, please let me know. Itis discontinued and no where that I can find, has any in stock.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu
Mine won't charge on shore power either and does sparingly while driving. I think my battery is toast but was interested in how you figured out your inverter was the issue?

Catmandu, mine appears to work fine in every way except charging from shore power. It is as though once the unit charges the battery, instead of holding a float charge, it just shuts down. If I switch to invert, it works fine.

I'm going to see if the newer model (which lists a slightly different dimension) will work. I'm praying it does because I DO NOT want to re-route all these wires.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

A quick follow up on this, since I know there are a LOT of vans out there that have this model inverter/charger.

I ordered the newer model of this unit http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Pow...ords=rv2012+ul and figured I would just see if it would possibly fit even though the dimensions listed were pretty far off from the unit that was in the van.

Well, what I found out was that the unit DOES fit, but you have to grind off a few of the mounting "feet" that stick out on the sides. Which is exactly what SMB did to the original unit as it turns out.

I am awaiting a few parts (lugs and power cables) because I did have to change just one wire due to the different connection type on the front of the unit.

Appears to fit and work fine.

This is mind-numbing close -in, hurt your hands and contort your body type work since the fit is so tight, but it will work for those considering a replacement of their non-functional tripp-lite inverter/charger.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

is there a replacement for the RV2012UL that works ?
akoren01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

I'd just get a stand-alone charger and wire that in.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #9

Hi Ducksun,

I just ordered this unit to replace my Inverter on my 2006 SMB. What other parts did you need to install this unit? Any tips and advice for the swap?

thanks,

Alex
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I'd just get a stand-alone charger and wire that in.
Yep, that's my simple answer too but I think he's far past that now.

DUKCSUN, there is NOTHING on these vans that isn't a tight, knuckle busting fit. You are not alone.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote