Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #11

Re: Tripping GFCI on Shore Power

Here is the solution as told to me by Chad at SMB Indiana. You need to turn off the Tripplite, then plug into the 110v 15 amp GFCI, then turn the Tripplite on again. The on/off switch might be a bitch to see or describe its location, so get out your manual (I downloaded mine from Tripplite) to see where it is.

I knew when I picked up my van this was going to be a problem, but I have not tried it since there has always been a 30 amp outlet at any campground we have gone to, and I broke down and installed a 30 amp outlet at my house. 30 amp outlets don't have GFCI protection. Please see if that solves the problem and post. If it works, this thread will document the solution.

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #12

Here is the link that tells you how to plug trip lite into GFI
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...2003&hilit=GFI

Answer is at the end, I have not tried it myself.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #13

Please disregard the more complicated method I stated earlier in this thread, because I tried the method given on the last post before mine, and it worked just fine for the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger. It seems that neither Fresno (peter) and Indiana (Chad) know about this simple method. Just to restate it:

"Turn the inverter on (auto invert) and then plug to the outlet. After waiting a couple of minutes you can turn the inverter off (line charge only) and you should be fine. You could also leave the inverter in the on and the batteries will charge just fine."

I did not wait more than the time it took to walk back to the van before switching the inverter back to "Line Charge Only," and it worked fine.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote