Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Tripplite inverter controller

So I've had my SMB for a week now and have slowly been playing with all of the features. Today I was checking out the tripplite manual and reviewing all of the settings options. But, for some reason the inverter wouldn't stay on: I checked all the connections, fuses, etc and nothing seemed to help. I then unplugged the remote cable (looks like a phone line) and it's been working perfectly.

Now I'm totally confused, ha. It appears that the remote cable has been there since it was built. It's screwed to the ground and then runs right under the paneling out of sight. After some googling, I found that there is a remote available which allows you to control the basic settings. But, I've searched the van high and low and I cannot find a wired remote anywhere.

So my thought is maybe smb ran the wiring in case a remote was to be added later? And then maybe the shop that I bought it from just plugged it in without realizing that it isn't connected to anything. But that still leaves the question of why it isn't working when it's plugged in? Obviosuly not a big deal as long as it works, but a bit strange.

Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I'd call SMB and ask. I did have a similar issue with my Xantex. The communication wire that runs to the remote panel was pinched and caused the inverter to trip off. When I disconnected it from the inverter all was well. My inverter is difficult to get to, so I had to replace the cable.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

You are correct the APSRM4 is the remote control for this unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Po.../dp/B0002H9S1I

It should plug into the RJ45 connector on the inverter/charger. In my original install, the remote was under my Guacho, basically a couple of inches away from the actual unit. (it did not have the faceplate on it).

If the cable was not connected, it should work the same as having the actual switch on the inverter in Auto.

If you were to take a RJ45 cable and put a switch between Pins 1 & 7, that would allow you to switch from Invert to charge only, obviously the other lines are the for the LED's although I don't remember the actual pinout off the top of my head. It is possible that it is wired to just a switch and not the expensive remote. You could check to see if Pin's 1 & 7 are indeed shorted on the cable, that would indeed put it into charge only mode.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #4

Found the remote! It was in a cabinet above the fridge, but way at the top so I didn't see it when looking from eye level. It was set to charge only, soon as I flipped it to auto it started right up. A small but satisfying victory!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
Found the remote! It was in a cabinet above the fridge, but way at the top so I didn't see it when looking from eye level. It was set to charge only, soon as I flipped it to auto it started right up. A small but satisfying victory!
Glad you found it but what a goofy place for them to put it. The thing is designed with an attractive faceplate to be put in plain sight, more convenient than wherever the inverter itself is mounted. SMB does some strange things, and then of course customers request some strange things. These look great and do their job from a glance if you mount them on the upper header or cabinetry, as shown in my old van below.
If it's worth remounting to you you might find it much more useable that way. It's a very small hole for the back of the switch and 4 screws.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Ha, I'm definitely starting to learn that SMB ocassionally does strange things. That does look nice, and I may try and find a way to reroute mine to display outside the cabinet. but they must have pitched the face plate. I still may be able to set it in a cutout, and I think I'll be mounting my solar controller right there as well, so I'll probably tackle that at the same time.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #7

See if Tripplite can supply you with a new faceplate. I see now why you had trouble finding it. I did t know you were sans a faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote