Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
In general nothing that you did should have caused a problem, worse case is if you had an actual load applied to the 110 circuit you would have been using up power and (either alternator power or battery). If nothing was plugged in or turned on than at most you would have a minimal level of power from the inverter. The trip-lite does have a load sense function, it is dial that sets up the minimal load needed for the inverter to come on. So you could have it on and actually not be inverting any power. The yellow invert LED will be blinking if the inverter is on but not met the load sense threshold.

Given that it appears that you have a problem, most things at the chip level don't really emit a lot of smoke, it will smell but only produce a small puff of smoke. Burning the etching or PCB material would create a lot of smoke, and it would be easy to see, unfortunately opening up the trip-lite for a quick glance is not an option.

Another thing that creates a lot of smoke is wire insulation. The only thing I would add to the help you have already received would be to also look at the AC output wires, and the breaker box. It sounds like you normally don't use your inverter while driving, and sense this happened after while or right after driving and connections that are affected by road vibration would also be an area that I would look.

-greg
Hey Greg, I’m gonna go out and re-visit some of the items you were nice enough to mention. I’m so grateful for people like you on our forum. People who for nothing but to be helpful take time on their Saturday to help with my issue and offer excellent advice so thanks again. I’m really about to just say forget it and ask for recommendations on a replacement that I can install since my Tripp life is acting dangerous and it’s 10 years old so for all I know the original owners may have broke it or known about the issue before me. I looked at the Aimes 2500 psi.

Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

I changed out my trip-lite to the Magnum MS2000 2000W Pure Sine Inverter/Charger
Add in the RC50 remote and you have a good solid unit.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #13

Thanks Gregg for the advice on magnum.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #14

If your build is like my 2007 gas hog, the Tripplite is under the sink, as is the wiring to the 110 outlet.
Did the ground-fault trip on that outlet? Did you check all the wiring under the sink? That cavity is also water pump housing and storage from behind the seat, a very busy area.
Pull out everything stored there, get a strong flashlight and wiggle all the wires, with 110 outlet energized, inverter on inverting; and then plug in your coffee maker and run the microwave.
Be prepared to shut off inverter, if need be.

2007 E350 Ford V-10
SMB Transformer Mod

All guts, no glory
seasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I changed out my trip-lite to the Magnum MS2000 2000W Pure Sine Inverter/Charger
Add in the RC50 remote and you have a good solid unit.

greg
I have the same setup and am very happy with it.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, tripplite