Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

Garage
Troubleshooting Cigarette lighter issues... e250 07'

While using my multimeter I currently pull 10.5+ DCv, I have replaced my both fuses for both the cigarette lighter & the 12v outlet.

But I am not pulling enough power though.
Do I need to replace the wiring kit?

if yes;
- has anyone completed this, or know a resource that can help me with this?
- Is it possible its just a plug and play option after I remove the dashboard?

If no;
- Any ideas what I should try next?
- other reasons why I am not pulling enough power though?

Also, I'm just getting used to this form. I think I have been posting some of my questions in the wrong area.

Though I'm stoked to see that this form is still active, so much useful information and ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
ghettoo power.jpg  

UrbanDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

They are separate circuits, so if you're seeing low voltage on both (and not other ignition switched circuits), you probably have a corroded dash ground somewhere.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
They are separate circuits, so if you're seeing low voltage on both (and not other ignition switched circuits), you probably have a corroded dash ground somewhere.
What are you trying to power through those outlets or are you simply concerned at the current readings? Are any connected devices blowing the existing or previous fuses?

When checking voltage at those outlets be sure to check your starting/chassis battery concurrently and compared--they should be equal.

As CarringB says this could be nothing more than one or two bad grounds which could be corrected by running those to a solid point under the dash.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

Yep, I agree. Run a jumper wire from a bolt in the door hinge or the seat base to the ground (negative) on both of those outlets and see if the voltage jumps up to 12.5 or more, where it should be if the van has been driven lately. That will confirm bad ground. If this is the case just run a new ground behind the dash. If you pull the lower trim below the steering wheel (just pull hard and it will release) you'll see a big bare metal support there. It's a perfect place to tap in a new ground. You can most likely do this without pulling any more dash parts than that lower trim. You'll just have to fish the wire a foot or so.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cigarette lighter, install