Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Truck-Lite sealed beam LEDs

So, my headlights sucked. Old sealed beams, one with some type of sketchy wiring so it was a little dimmer than the other.

I wanted to upgrade (and fix the wiring) and debated for a the last couple years, while other projects came and went. I have two small Rigid LEDs in my Aluminess, and a large Rigid light bar, so offroad wasn't an issue, it was more being able to see on twisty roads with other traffic..

I don't like the flush look of the plastic lens stock lights, in fact I swapped my existing sealed beams onto my current van from my old one so I could keep the look.

So my options were some Hella/high wattage bulbs, Truck-Lite LEDs, or Redoval's new sealed beam HID. For a couple reasons I went with Truck-Lite: ease of use, no need to muck with wiring, cost, and reliability. Also I'm happy with my other Rigid products and their customer service, so am happy to give them my business (Truck-Lite acquired Rigid last year).

So here's the light:

Saturday morning I removed the old lights, started poking around with the spotty wiring, and realized that my old adjuster screws were pretty much rusted solid. By the time I got to the Ford store, they were closed (3pm). So Sunday I was off the pick-n-pull. Between two locations I found four good non-rusty screws and clip in thread clippy things (technical term).

My buckets were a little rusty, the bezels were chrome, so a quick coat of rustoleum cleaned them up.

The wiring issue appeared to be in the stock connector, and was giving me fits. Pull connector apart, remove pins, check all connections, put back together, connectivity restored, plug in light, no 12v. I did this a several times (including having to remove stock battery and tray, and finally gave up and routed a new wire. Right light installed:

Still waiting for the second light to show up (today methinks). Then I can plug that in and align them now that I have functional adjustors. Lights look promising, looking forward to seeing them at night!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Garage
Rally,

Those look nice! Can you post some output photos? From some that I have seen in the past they should have a nice and clean beam with plenty of intensity. thanks!

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Rally,

Those look nice! Can you post some output photos? From some that I have seen in the past they should have a nice and clean beam with plenty of intensity. thanks!

Scott
Will do, once I get the other one in and get someplace dark (hopefully this weekend).

I can say the low beam has a very distinct cut off on the high side, which is good so I don't blind people.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Garage
Looks nice, am am planning this same upgrade. Pictures of them working would be great.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Can't wait to hear the feedback once you get to try them out, this will be a great option.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

I put a set in about a year ago and have been very happy with them. So much better than stock and like you said, plug and play.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Got the other one today, installed, now I just wait until this weekend when I go somewhere dark!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #8

I did the same as well. I'd say that the pattern is a little "blotchy" but overall visibility is now superior to the stock aerodynamic housings. Very pleased overall...

Jay
jsnable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
They look kinda evil. I like it.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post

Saturday morning I removed the old lights, started poking around with the spotty wiring, and realized that my old adjuster screws were pretty much rusted solid. By the time I got to the Ford store, they were closed (3pm). So Sunday I was off the pick-n-pull. Between two locations I found four good non-rusty screws and clip in thread clippy things (technical term).
Technical term indeed!

Anyone working with stock H/L adjusters and bulb connectors here's two part numbers that'll be helpful:

6C2Z-13032-A, headlamp adjusting screw. I like these because they have a Torx recess in the head instead of the traditional slopping fitting Phillips recess. A trick I use to keep them from rusting together is placing a bit of anti-seize all along the screw thread length. Years later you'll thank yourself for doing this.

Dorman makes a nice replacement connector kit, p/n 84790: Dorman Products - 84790 In addition to being for higher temperatures I like the boot covering the bulb terminals--a perfect nook for a touch of dielectric grease. (Not sure if those will fit the Truck-Light LED's but nice connectors anyway.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote