Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 06:19 PM   #1

Upgrade from Zamp Solar Panel to Renorgy

2015 Sportsmobile Sprinter:

I am looking to upgrade rooftop solar where I currently have one 115w Zamp solar panel that goes to a Zamp ZS-30 AP Solar Controller (PWM Charger) which should be able to hold up to 510 watts.

When looking at the current Zamp solar rooftop panel connections, they appear to be wired directly into the junction box.

Can I splice right before the junction box and then wire right into a solar connector like this that has the MC4 connectors?

Replacement panels would be two 175 watt renorgy solar panels connected in parallel using these 20 amp y connectors.

Any flaws in this new system?

Tried to read up as much as possible on the forum, but admittedly a novice on solar. My previous 2006 Sportsmobile had no solar.

Image below of current Zamp Junction box on solar panel:
IMG_1440 by tadych44, on Flickr

oshburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:00 PM   #2

Garage
Couple years back I did the same > BUT, about 4" beyond where my solar wires came up out of the top there was a slender 4-5" long tube that held a fuse (I would look to see if you have the same, and if so I'd keep it in line) so I cut my wires just after that fuse and added a MC4 connector. Just beyond that fuse I added 1 panel (cant remember off the top of my head if it was 160wt or 175wt panel)
Something you may consider while you do this upgrade is to add a way to wire-in for suitcase panel(s). The roof panels only work when they are in sunlight, and if you are like the majority of people out there you tend to park the van in shade whenever possible so those roof panels become obsolete. They also don't do anything for you when driving either since your batteries are being changed through the Alternator.
Couple good threads on adding suitcase panels if you use the search function:
I would read this Thread first (provided by Scalf77):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-21140.html

These are a couple of the Threads that may be of interest:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-23929.html

There are additional Threads out there you can "search" for more context.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:47 AM   #3

I don't see a problem as long as the wires from the junction box to the controller are of adequate size (10 gauge should be adequate). Just be sure to match the polarities. I'd take a reading with a multimeter while your old panel is still active and label the wires before cutting them.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:12 AM   #4

I hear those new “RenORGY” panels need to be installed in groups… [emoji41]

Sorry, couldn’t resist teasing about the typo [emoji23]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #5

Garage
Someone will be interested in your “old” Zamp panel if it’s in good working condition. Those are good quality panels.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Couple years back I did the same > BUT, about 4" beyond where my solar wires came up out of the top there was a slender 4-5" long tube that held a fuse (I would look to see if you have the same, and if so I'd keep it in line) so I cut my wires just after that fuse and added a MC4 connector. Just beyond that fuse I added 1 panel (cant remember off the top of my head if it was 160wt or 175wt panel)
Something you may consider while you do this upgrade is to add a way to wire-in for suitcase panel(s). The roof panels only work when they are in sunlight, and if you are like the majority of people out there you tend to park the van in shade whenever possible so those roof panels become obsolete. They also don't do anything for you when driving either since your batteries are being changed through the Alternator.
Couple good threads on adding suitcase panels if you use the search function:
I would read this Thread first (provided by Scalf77):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-21140.html

These are a couple of the Threads that may be of interest:

There are additional Threads out there you can "search" for more context.

I have a small inline fuse as well, so I will definitely cut after that.

I actually read those threads you are referencing for the suitcase panels and that is why I was stopping short of maxing out rooftop solar to accommodate a suitcase option. My plan was also to have a 150watt portable suitcase option, I spend a lot of time in northern climates so wanted to push more bandwidth towards rooftop. I am just not sure how to wire that in quite yet and am still looking through past threads. I see a couple of threads that reference what adapters to get for an outside access port, but they don't go into detail, at least as far as I can tell, on how to incorporate into the rest of the system.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I hear those new “RenORGY” panels need to be installed in groups… [emoji41]

Sorry, couldn’t resist teasing about the typo [emoji23]
HA. I didn't even realize the typos. Good play on that mistake!
Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #8

So to add in the aux solar you could try adding the aux route in parallel with the roof top run.

I generally fuse the run close to the controller, as this connection will always be hot when the roof top solar is hot. If you can double up connections at the controller you might have to add a dual power post, or two single power post.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote