Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

USB Port

Does any one know of a panel mount USB port that will convert 12v to 5v. I have found plenty converters that plug in the cig outlet and plenty of USB panel/surface mount outlets that do not convert 12v to 5v. It seem like this would be a handy item to install in several places for charging and running things.

Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: USB Port

These don't do that???
USB adaptor

I have 12vDC outlets all over the van and prefer to keep things simple if possible.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

I guess I could put in some cig lighter outlets and use an adapter but it would just be a lot cleaner to have a panel mount USB. The two main things I use are the GPS and Phone both are USB. And the GPS I would like to be able to plug in above the rear view mirror in to the existing console via USB.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Ipad needs more juice than Iphone
needs 5 volt

same as my Galaxy Tab

Sent from my SGH-I987 using Tapatalk
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

If one wanted to add just USB charging ports you could use this hub by Carnetix found at http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4..._p/adt-015.htm. This can be configured to power on with the ignition if you like or it will turn on if connected to a down stream USB connection like your laptop. If you wanted to hide this and just make the ports seen you could add these
http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_M..._p/com-040.htm.

Now you run into the real problem with power on USB, A lot of devices that use USB cables for charging may want more than the standard 500mA per port USB spec. You can use a cable such as this http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Power.../ref=pd_cp_e_3
this will double your power.

There are also some other 12 volt USB hubs on the market, the Carnetix looks to have the most features if you chose to make it a stand alone install. ( I do not own the Carnetix hub)

So this could be an option.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

Scalf77 thanks for the great input. The hub look like it is just what I need. I am not much of an electronic guy so please bear with my questions. When it says DC to DC regulated I am assuming that means I can power it with any 12v source from the fuse box and it will handle it? Also it looks like the power cable that comes with it needs a USB to supply power. How would you suggest I connect it to a 12v source?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #7

You are correct the DC to DC regulator means it will take the 12 volts from the van and it will produce the 5 volts power needed by the USB HUB. There should be a power plug on it it (4 pins I believe) One of those will go to your 12 volt source, another will go to accessory voltage(this would be one that is hot when the van is running or the key is on accessory. or the "infamous" radio switch. This will enable yo to only have power on the hub when it is running. Note: there all also some jumper settings on the inside. I believe default is for the jumper to be on USB, you will need to move to IGN. The USB cable is there in case yo want to hook it to a PC.

Power consumption will be 2.5 mA Idle

4X 500mA + 98 mA Max Power

JP1
- USB
- IGN

There are 3 settings for JP2:

-S=turns off with either IGN of USB bus
-M=5 min off delay after IGN or USB is off
-L=25 min off delay after IGN or USB is off

The medium off-delay is when you put the jumper on the bottom 2 pins on JP2 (if you have the hub positioned as it is in the pics above)

The long off-delay is when the pins on JP2 are not jumper-ed.

As I said I do not own one of these, so I have not seen there installation instructions. If you get one and need help with them feel free to PM me.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote