Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Use Odyssey AGM starting batteries with EOM alternator?

[I have a 2004 6.0 PSD single alternator. I plan on replacing the 2 batteries and am considering 2 Odyssey 65-PC1750T batteries.

[photo]http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/7457/product_image/d368d9fd0f457b4aaeeec257e4f3b5d4.jpg?1446489130[/photo]

The stock OEM alternator is about 110 amps. Some folks say to replace with a specialDC Power 270 XPhttps://www.dcpowerinc.com/8237-270-xp.html amp alternator that sells for over $600.

What are the drawbacks to replacing with say a 180 amp stock type alternator at about 1/3 the price of the 270 amp, lower voltage alternator?

I am thinking that even if the 2 Odyssey batteries get moderately weakened, if they last longer and can take more punishment than standard wet cell lead acid batteries, I will by ahead of the game by arbitrage.

I can get 2 Odysseyhttp://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/65-pc1750t?pp=12 batteries delivered for about $463.

coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #2

Re: Use Odyssey AGM starting batteries with EOM alternator?

Can't help with the alternator question. However, here's a thread that covers Sears as an alternative to Odyssey.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10033&hilit=Sears
Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

There isn't much of a benefit to a high amp alternator if the vehicles load is not very high. Unfortunately my SMB has a substantial load when it's all added up. My Starcool add on A/C pulls so much that when the engine amp load was added to the what the conversion pulled, the two 210AH house batteries were not being charged.
Some reasons I went to an XP-270 was:
>>>Faster house battery charge times.
>>>Can run the Microwave while the engine is at idle W/O pulling the voltage down.
>>>Can run the winch while the engine is at idle W/O pulling the voltage down.
>>>The XP-270 has a better regulator and isn't as prone to engine heat damage.
>>>Currently Nations can even couple a Bal-Mar regulator to the alternator for specific charging requirements. You can also have them built a stock XP-270 to your specific needs with regard to the regulator (you choose higher or lower voltage output model). FICM modules like a steady voltage.
>>>Low noise both mechanically and electrically.
>>>Bling if you want it.

I'm not suggesting the XP-270 is the only choice either; there are plenty of in between higher output alternators on the market that preform @ a good price. I had one I purchased out of Chicago that served me well. However I had an issue on how it mounted and with another brand I bought, ended taking it back due to the noise it made. The XP-270 I had built is the same size as stock and dropped right in. I prefer not to worry about the alternator on the trail.

As far as the Odyssey batteries go they are built really well and in the past had a great warranty. The Sears Platinum is supposed to be made by Odyssey but the prices have gone way up. I think the Odyssey has the better warranty these days but I'd check. The rumor was Sears was taking a beating over the warranty. I'm thinking the Platinum is a PC-1500 IIRC.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

DC Power has a 185 amp alternator that is AC/Delco OEM inside with a Ford style housing for $300. This should be sufficient for my E350.

Our van is an extended E350 with a 62 liter ARB fridge/freezer running off a 180 ah Life LIne AGM. I carry a small CTEK 4.3 battery charger to top it off every week when I find shore power.

The main reason for wanting a better alternator and upgraded batteries is to keep the FICM and injectors from failing. I bought the van used and soon discovered the FICM was at 20 volt main power during start up. I am replacing the FICM this weekend. I will test the batteries and alternator before I replace them.
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

One note on the Sears Diehard Platinum: These used to be a good alternative as they are (were) Odyssey batteries branded for sears. However Sears has discontinued carrying these.

New Old Stock is still available in a few stores, but if you're going to pick one up, be sure to check the build date sticker to ensure it hasn't been sitting around for 2+ years.

As compensation, it appears that the new Diehard Gold Deep Cycle batteries are re-badged East Penn/Deka batteries, which are also a quality brand.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I had read that but last year I was able to replace my Odyssey batteries with Sears Marine Platinum batteries that have the same exact case as the pc-1500. Obviously I can't open the battery to look.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote