Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Van electrical planning

Hey everyone - I'm planning out my van electrical setup (I have a 2013 Nissan NV I'm converting into a RV), and wanted to draw power from solar panels & an existing power outlet within the van (It's 120V with 150W/400W inverter)

Here's my proposed wiring diagram attached. Do you think this would work? wanted to make sure I'm doing this in a safe way & won't fry a wire or the battery
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-3378.jpg  

vansomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #2

So is it a 150 watt inverter with a 400 watt surge? Your charger is 150 watt output power (their spec) so you would be at the limit. 10 Amp charge is pretty small for a 100 amp battery. You don't have tp hook up to the alternator with a DC to DC charger, the start battery will do just fine, not huge degree of difficulty.

You didn't say what solar charger you are using, just make sure that it will handle the panel voltage in series as you have it listed. I did not do a hard dive into your wire sizes ands such.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #3

Thank you, greg!

Sorry, last quick question. Do I need to attach my (-) bus bar to the chassis (for grounding)? My Li-Ion battery is the renogy smart 100a battery, so I'm wondering if that would just keep that 12V voltage difference for me. I also am worried that attaching a ground wire to the chassis could be a safety hazard

Let me know, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
vansomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote