Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #91

Garage
Greg, You amaze me. Add me to the list as well. I have a ravelco already but it sounds like this interfaces to engage it electronically? Can you elaborate how you would install it?

Old 10-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #92

The sky's the limit......you could install this standalone to disable starter or fuel pump or whatever.....or perhaps run this in series with the Ravelco circuits to have redundant security.

....perhaps starter won't engage unless both Ravelco cap and RFID fob are both in place......or whatever

I'm hesitant to disable Fuel pump with something that's easy to get to....I have visions of van dying in the left lane of the 405 freeway at 65 mph with no power steering or power brakes.....if someone were to yank the Ravelco cap or move the RFID FOB
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
A couple of heads up this. further looking finds a very similar unit that that outputs 12 Volts, instead of the 3.25V that the original link points to. Being that it is a 12 volt output, the relays you directly connect to are more common.

RFID Key Access Control

The unit below, also comes with a relay that can be configured to toggle. This would cover the case RFID key being active the whole time.

RFID Reader transponder access control 3 mode relay momentary and flip flop

In any case the 12 Volt output RFID controller would probably be easier to work with.

-greg

Very Nice!! ...and latching relay is a great idea.... I didn't order one yet....so it looks like this is the one to get.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #94

My EBAY Ravelco arrived today, and the cap is identical to the ones in 1der and boywonder's photos. Close examination of it shows it to be made very well, marked "Made in USA" and identical to others installed by certified installers. In addition,it came with two well made window stickers and an orange card used to order additional plugs. But, as mentioned before it says you must supply a receipt from the installer and he needs to place some type of code number in the box on the bottom. I have to guess that the seller bought out a quantity of these from some installer who quit the business meaning I think it's the genuine article. It's no surprise that Ravelco claims they are counterfeit due to the low selling price compared to what they charge for one. So, next week I'm getting a Ford re-manufactured transmission and after that I'll get this thing installed.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
....I wonder how hard it would be to make the gas pedal removable......hmmm
I think there was some jest in this statement, or maybe dead serious - but it got me thinking. This is likely a real possibility. Replace three bolts with quick release pins (or something), then one could slip the throttle cable out of the end of the top of the pedal lever and pull the pins. Voila! The whole bracket and pedal should come out.
Attached Thumbnails
F3007444-3949-428E-88D0-E639ABE3903E.jpg  
Old 10-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #96

I was being serious.....

......carrying that gas pedal around may be cumbersome....perhaps lock it in your storage box if you have one.

There are several relays under the hood that are easy to yank, and easier to pack. One is the starter relay, one may be fuel pump, can't remember.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #97

Last night on the local news there was a story about vehicle theft and how it's exploded in the last year mostly attributed to the meth, and fentnal epidemic. The main story was about a guy who got his Ford truck stolen with his puppy inside.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/lacey-po...om-parking-lot

He ran into Walmart for just a couple minutes in the middle of the day. They went on to say that for some unmentioned reason, Ford's are super easy to steal and they practically begged people to install "some sort of cut off switch" While this is a bare minimum, multiple layers of protection are far better. Removal of the gas pedal would certainly stop someone from driving away and could be quite effective when parked in one place for a length of time, but probably not convenient enough to use when just running into a store for a minute. The best ideas will be the ones ones that you use every time, so keep the good ideas coming..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #98

It has been discussed on the forum before, but in the interest of sharing ideas will add here that I plan to remove the keyed door locks/rods to eliminate a potential source of entry. I will replace them with elevator bolts similar to the Punch Plug. I have been having trouble with my keyless entry lately, so debating on leaving the driver’s side just in case. Or maybe I will leave the rear door keyed and install an exterior hockey puck lock.
https://jimmijammer.com/PPdescription%2012424.html

For the RFID crowd in this thread. Maybe it is possible to open one of these keys up and put the RFID tag inside? This would keep the tag in proximity to the steering column, preventing unwanted failure (assuming you don’t go dow the latching route).
Attached Thumbnails
B8862FD3-8D98-41D7-8D0F-9CC75B2FD12E.jpg  
Old 10-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #99

What about pulling the fuel pump relay?

Not convenient if you're running into a store but if parked at a trail head for the day or just at home. Easy enough to get to under the hood.

My only hesitation with Ravelco is splicing into factory wiring.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #100
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
My EBAY Ravelco arrived today, and the cap is identical to the ones in 1der and boywonder's photos. Close examination of it shows it to be made very well, marked "Made in USA" and identical to others installed by certified installers. In addition,it came with two well made window stickers and an orange card used to order additional plugs. But, as mentioned before it says you must supply a receipt from the installer and he needs to place some type of code number in the box on the bottom. I have to guess that the seller bought out a quantity of these from some installer who quit the business meaning I think it's the genuine article. It's no surprise that Ravelco claims they are counterfeit due to the low selling price compared to what they charge for one. So, next week I'm getting a Ford re-manufactured transmission and after that I'll get this thing installed.
Those of us lucky enough to grab a Ravelco when they were available on eBay did not receive counterfeit or bogus products. As you mention it was a ploy from Ravelco to thwart sale of their products without them directly benefiting. Even if a similar product was NOT of Ravelco manufacture its still a viable deterrent to auto theft. Exactly like the Ravelco versions how effective and reliable they are tends to depend about 95% on the installer and their skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
There are several relays under the hood that are easy to yank, and easier to pack. One is the starter relay, one may be fuel pump, can't remember.
Both are under the hood in the Battery Junction Box aka Power Distribution Box, near the master cylinder in the E-Series. I've pulled them to temporarily disable a parked E-250 when a rash of van thefts were occurring in my area.

Its effective, a bit cumbersome and not the best action on a fuse box. Plus pulling those fuses is in effect what the Ravelco does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
What about pulling the fuel pump relay?

Not convenient if you're running into a store but if parked at a trail head for the day or just at home. Easy enough to get to under the hood.

My only hesitation with Ravelco is splicing into factory wiring.
Interrupting the fuel and stater circuits would be fully reliable assuming good soldering and splicing skills are available. Using solderless terminals for installing a Ravelco (or knock off) would concern me as too many DIY's don't have the experience how to correctly use "crimps"---the tool selection is key to reliable connections. Its not rocket science but its not as easy or simple as it might seem looking in from the outside.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote