Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #101

Here are some more great ideas copied with permission from the Facebook Sportsmobile page:
Anyone interested in a super stealthy ignition bypass switch for the SMB? Or just about any other vehicle? idea #1- 1 12vdc relay tied to the passing lamp circuit set up to make/break the start signal. You would need to pull back on the passing light switch while using the key to start. Idea #2, Use the passing lamp switch relay in series with the brake switch/shift solenoid circuit so that passing lamp and brake pedal must be active to switch out of park. Idea #3 Use the horn switch with a latching relay to activate either the ignition or close the start bypass circuit, the horn wont actually blow unless the engine is running via oil pres switch. Just plain old bypass switches on either the start signal or the ignition could work but I like the idea of the bypass switch hidden in plain sight!
I'm thinking #2 is the way to go even passengers wouldn't realize i'm activating the bypass to switch out of park, even if someone had the keys it would be difficult to figure out, best of all its automatic every time you go into park. I can run into the gas station and leave the AC on for Pupper. I also like to pre-warm my engine leaving the van sitting in the driveway running. Any ideas out there?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #102

Good ideas.. create a puzzle. Low-tech, inexpensive. Really like #2 - it's easy to hotwire the van and at least get it running, but if there's a hidden puzzle to get it into gear, that's likely enough to stop the theft.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #103

Saw this on a EarthCruiser/Roamer? at Overland Expo East. I like the type measures that potentially have the dirtbag move on before he does the damage breaking in. The owner said it came on the vehicle. The same locking was used on 4-5 access points on the vehicle.
It uses a locking pin similar to the one you use on your trailer hitch draw bar.
Anyone seen them for sale before? Brand? I didn’t think at the time to ask how they were finished out on the inside of the doors…if they were thru-bolted.
Attached Thumbnails
DA3BF354-24AD-4778-BCEF-E3E831CB268C.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #104
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Saw this on a EarthCruiser/Roamer? at Overland Expo East. I like the type measures that potentially have the dirtbag move on before he does the damage breaking in. The owner said it came on the vehicle. The same locking was used on 4-5 access points on the vehicle.
It uses a locking pin similar to the one you use on your trailer hitch draw bar.
Anyone seen them for sale before? Brand? I didn’t think at the time to ask how they were finished out on the inside of the doors…if they were thru-bolted.
Interesting Steve. There might be some concern that someone could use that same security device (assuming a pin wasn't installed by you) to lock someone IN the van. A small cable would be enough.

Herb
Old 10-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #105

Quote:
Couldn't they just a) cut the bolt or b) break the window? I think they can always find a way to get inside, but disabling the van from moving with a multi-step puzzle ->might<- save the day.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #106

Quote:

I actually contacted Earthroamer about this a few years ago. It's proprietary and they don't sell them separately.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
I actually contacted Earthroamer about this a few years ago. It's proprietary and they don't sell them separately.
Oh well, that was my next move to call them and see if I could buy them over their parts counter, thanks for saving me some time.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #108

Today I installed the Cyclops "Theft Avoidance Module". It's simply a relay that replaces your existing starter, fuel pump, or PCM relay and activates the relay only after you press a button on the supplied key fob. No wiring or splicing required. I replaced the PCM relay so that the starter still engages and sounds like it's trying to start. Very simple, reasonably priced at $150, and effective. I'll also use The Club on my steering wheel as a visual deterrent and additional level of protection. Next I'd like to install a Jimmyjammer or similar to deter break in.

https://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:25 AM   #109

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
Today I installed the Cyclops "Theft Avoidance Module". It's simply a relay that replaces your existing starter, fuel pump, or PCM relay and activates the relay only after you press a button on the supplied key fob. No wiring or splicing required. I replaced the PCM relay so that the starter still engages and sounds like it's trying to start. Very simple, reasonably priced at $150, and effective. I'll also use The Club on my steering wheel as a visual deterrent and additional level of protection. Next I'd like to install a Jimmyjammer or similar to deter break in.

I really like this. Thanks for posting.

I use a club like device that connects the brake pedal and steering wheel when parked in a place that it might be needed.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #110
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post

I like that idea, its a great compromise from a Ravelco and would certainly work to slow a crook down enough to run them off---maybe?

The RC relay would best suit me if it were gives some indication its been "armed"? Personally I'd like a pair activated by the same fob, one for fuel and one for the starter. That would give me notice perhaps one of the relays had failed if I encounter a no-start condition.

The Club in and of itself is not a huge deterrent to crooks----they simply use a hacksaw to cut the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I really like this. Thanks for posting.

I use a club like device that connects the brake pedal and steering wheel when parked in a place that it might be needed.
Something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/33202798206...53.m1438.l2649

Those are interesting and wonder how much they'd dissuade or stop a crook?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote