Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #121
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Let's be very careful bring ANY politics into this thread or this forum. THose discussions can go bad very quickly.

Herb
While I agree with the sentiment I wouldn't mind if that entire post was removed. I get enough political discussions over in FTE!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #122

I just pulled the trigger on one of these GPS trackers.

https://www.amazon.com/Trak-4-Mobile.../dp/B0753LC2DQ

If the van ever gets stolen, it's extremely unlikely that both my phone and my wife's phone will be lost. We will get on the website and up the plan to 1-minute tracking and alert law enforcement immediately.

The other months out of the year when we're not traveling and the van is sitting in the back, I'll just turn it off. The data plan pricing structure and low up front cost make this a win for me.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #123

Testing Ravelco

We finally got the new hard top for my son's Jeep (14 weeks on order), so it is now has moved back to the streets of Portland. I believe there were 900 cars stolen last month, and 800 the month before. The only good news is that 80% are usually recovered in a month. This should be a good test for the newly installed Ravelco.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #124

This thread popped up on my side-bar, so I figured I'd just throw my 2 cents in (that I've discussed elsewhere on this forum). I lived in Seattle for the past 3 years. Moved to Santa Cruz this summer. Petty crime was rampant in Seattle, mostly broken windows and the like in our area of north seattle. Then we had our 15ft uhaul packed with 90% of our belongings & hooked to a car trailer with our honda element on it stolen from outside of our house/apt hours before we were supposed to drive from Seattle to SC.

I had always been a bit paranoid about our van (not high-end sportsmobile, but a heart and soul project that is worth more than any dollar amount at this point), but after the uhaul theft (which of course is an E-series chassis), I got serious.

My budget/slightly DIY solution was to install a decently hidden, but easily accessible kill switch (connected to the fuel pump inertia switch). The install process took <2hrs and basically requires nothing other than adding a switch in-line with one of the leads from the fuel pump switch. The BEST thing about this IMO, is that when you try to start the van with the switch off, it sounds as though it is trying to turn over, but cannot start (because the electrical systems are still functioning, the engine just won't get any fuel). My hope is that if somebody breaks in and can't get the van to start after a few tries (combined with the sound of the van trying & failing to start that may wake neighbors), they will run off and pursue an easier target. I also bought some knock-off (look legit) Viper GPS/Security stickers that I put on the windows of both of our vehicles. I consider those a small, but visual deterrent.

I also have a buddy that races motorcycles and has a bunch of friends with travel trailers. Apparently trailer theft has also been insane since Covid started. He knows people that have installed GPS trackers on their trailers that have had them stolen. The thieves apparently have equipment that is able to identify where signals are coming from, allowing them to locate where the anti-theft devices are and rip them out. This could be BS, because I'm hearing about it down the grapevine, but it's a scary thought.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
Then we had our 15ft uhaul packed with 90% of our belongings & hooked to a car trailer with our honda element on it stolen from outside of our house/apt hours before we were supposed to drive from seattle to SC.
I'm so sorry to hear that, it had to be devastating. I use to love Seattle, but now I avoid it like the plague. A fuel cut off is a great first step, but in my opinion it's too easily found and defeated, so a layered approach is better. I just finished installing a Ravelco and it's clear to me that no one will quickly figure out how to bypass it. With enough time a determined thief could do it, but unless they tow it away, they won't get away quickly and if an alarm is going off I doubt they will stick around long. It won't stop a smash and grab or a tow away but at least you still have the van. Next on my multi step approach is installing Jimmyjammers on all the doors. That will prevent the common screwdriver entry, but not smashing a window. Still, if they can't unlock the door, it's less likely they will want to crawl in over broken glass and I never leave anything of value in plain sight anyway. As for towing it away, backing into a parking place makes it more difficult since it's in park and won't roll. For longer periods of time, I remove a rear wheel, but I'm just super paranoid. There is a new rehab center near me and the number of car prowls and thefts has gone sky high, but I'm sleeping better at night now with the Ravelco. At this point about the only thing left is a big dog inside.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
Today I installed the Cyclops "Theft Avoidance Module". It's simply a relay that replaces your existing starter, fuel pump, or PCM relay and activates the relay only after you press a button on the supplied key fob. No wiring or splicing required. I replaced the PCM relay so that the starter still engages and sounds like it's trying to start. Very simple, reasonably priced at $150, and effective. I'll also use The Club on my steering wheel as a visual deterrent and additional level of protection. Next I'd like to install a Jimmyjammer or similar to deter break in.

https://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/
I like the idea of this device. But their website is lacking in description and explanation. For $150 I'd like a little more info upfront.

After searching for product reviews about the Cyclops I found this ebay item.
Half the price and a bit more of info. At that price I think I'll give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-...=20001&mkevt=1
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #127

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I like the idea of this device. But their website is lacking in description and explanation. For $150 I'd like a little more info upfront.

After searching for product reviews about the Cyclops I found this ebay item.
Half the price and a bit more of info. At that price I think I'll give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-...=20001&mkevt=1
Youngster, When you install it please follow back with a critique - I was looking at the Cyclops as a redundant measure, but like the proximity feature of the E-Bay one you posted, so very interested to hear if it lives up to your expectations.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #128

Ravelco install yesterday went well. Highlights and thinking below, perhaps of interest. Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this, they were most helpful to me.
Best to all, Em -

> Ravelco installer took 2-hours from arrival to departure.
> Installer was professional, organized, carefully drilled through the firewall, taped metal conduit and caulked, put conduit and harness tape on exposed wires in the engine bay, did not use connectors, soldered the wires, tinning first, twisting second, soldering, and then heat-shrinking.
> Good customer service, showed me the circuits he used, ignition, gas, and grounded the Ralvelco wire harness. He held the wires, I took pictures of the circuits and documented up the process so I'd have it.
> Price was $650.
> Expensive for a wire harness? Yes. For you DIY folks, I can see why you say it's pretty straightforward and easy. For me, low-skilled at automotive repair, it would have taken a day, plus a day of youtube, and time to souce harness parts and switches - - with a probability I would have done a poor job causing problems down the road; my biggest worry.
> Economic thinking. Maybe a $150/hour shop rate, 2 hour install, 1 hour travel time = 3*$150 = $450? So...total price of $650 - $450 of labor = $200 for Ravelco wire harness hardware and 2 keys?
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #129

From a previous thread and post below. Again, thanks to all for your thoughts on GPS and Ravelco; most helpful!! Best, Em-

Optimus Tracker user here as well. 3 months now, did various tests. Works as advertised. Highlights are...
> Nice simple user interfaces on web n phone apps.
> Alerts by email and/or text about 30 seconds after leaving geofence.
> Geofence set-up is < 5-minutes, easy to set up in urban areas like at a hotel.
> Tracking stored, then uploaded, when mobile data is available if none is available. Only tested this for 20 minutes in a metro area with lots of coverage.
> Choice of ATT or Verizon 4G SIM card, be sure to ask before ordering. if not familiar with this choice, Verizon coverage is better in rural areas.
> Cust Service/Tech Support competent and had easy access.
> Placement will matter. Surprisingly, our unit works in the engine bay in metro areas, again, metro area, haven't tried engine bay placement in a rural area yet.
> 1-month battery, and/or direct wire to 12V, and/or USB-C charging plug
> $20/month, no contract and can turn on and off.
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #130

Just had a Ravelco installed yesterday - I live southeast US - am quite sure eventually the criminals will show up here also ! Next move will be that floor (gas pedal/brake pedal) "thingy" from Ebay as back up. I might try the "Cyclops" knock off from Ebay as well. I also documented the install of the Ravelco just in case any issues arise - but their history seems to give much relief for owners like us - wouldn't you agree ? I haven't seen anybody "dissing" the Ravelco - but interested in any reports out there of dissatisfied owners of one !?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote