Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2021, 09:18 AM   #151

I don't know the internals of the cyclops anti theft relay, and don't own one. I do know there are other anti theft relays out there that would address the "shutting off in flight" I have seen some RFID designs that only look for the code when the relay is energized, or when starting the vehicle, the arming of the security function is done when the vehicle is turned off. So yes a robust solution could be developed to control other always on circuits, versus the start only circuit.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:01 AM   #152
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
From a failure mode standpoint, any of these devices will put your vehicle (and you!! at risk) when connected to anything but the starter relay.

So if your passenger/kid unwittingly yanks your Revelco cap or plays with your RFID tags, etc the only robust circuit to prevent a disaster when opened is the starter relay.
That entire post is so spot on so thanks for making your own points known BW!

Relating to where one would install a Ravelco port to avoid losing the cap while driving I'd thought adding to the driver's seat base under the left hand. Yes that would require lengthening the as-received device's wires it would be beneficial as it would be immediately visible when entering the van and along with it being quite inconvenient to remove while driving.

The other great points raise here are which circuits to interrupt---starter relay and fuel supply would be my first choices.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #153

On my 2009 6.0, I'm not sure how deep I want to surgically dig on the wiring harness to get the RAVELCO installed. As in through the firewall. I just swapped a long block in and really am sick of digging in around the engine.

That being said, none of the cabin fuses look like they can accomplish functional security. HOWEVER appearances matter. If you can kill the cluster power, and the starter, you might have the ticket. That way, when the screwdriver turns, the vehicle has the appearance of being totally disabled, but still could maintain the mid highway capability.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Relating to where one would install a Ravelco port to avoid losing the cap while driving
There are a lot of excellent points being made here, and plenty of food for thought. As for the Ravelco cap coming off while driving, mine is a very tight fit when installing, to the point where I put a little silicone spray around the area where the cap and plug meet (but not on the contacts) to make it a little easier to install. Its still plenty tight though, and so far, I've never heard of anyone having the cap fall out accidentally.

Additionally, on last nights local news there was a lead story about vehicle theft reaching record rates in Wa. They interviewed a manager from Cartoys (a stereo and alarm instillation shop). The guy had a common toggle switch that he says they install to interrupt the fuel pump circuit and said they install them all the time. Showing the switch and explaining it's function seemed to be a bit silly, sorta like giving away your password. At the end of the segment, the anchor mentioned that there is a disproportionate number of Ford trucks and vans stolen due the ease with which a thief can enter and then drive away.

I think one take away here is that its easy to get paralysis by analysis. It would be easy to get so involved in considering the "what if's" that you never get around to upping your security. Our vans are high profile targets, and ANY security upgrade will hopefully slow down the thief enough to make them move on. Sure, have a well thought out plan, but just do SOMETHING, sooner rather than later.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post

That being said, none of the cabin fuses look like they can accomplish fictional security. HOWEVER appearances matter. If you can kill the cluster power, and the starter, you might have the ticket. That way, when the screwdriver turns, the vehicle has the appearance of being totally disabled, but still could maintain the mid highway capability.

Not familiar with the 6.0L, but the on gas engine vans the starter circuit is fuse 33 in the driver footwell......no firewall penetration required. No firewall penetration required for Fuel pump inertia switch either.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Not familiar with the 6.0L, but the on gas engine vans the starter circuit is fuse 33 in the driver footwell......no firewall penetration required. No firewall penetration required for Fuel pump inertia switch either.
That changed in 2009 w/ the interior update.

https://fuse-box.info/ford/ford-e-se...uses-and-relay
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post
That changed in 2009 w/ the interior update.

https://fuse-box.info/ford/ford-e-se...uses-and-relay

Good info..my van is a 2008.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #158

Thinking about replacing my DP tuner chip in my 7.3 with a Power Hungry performance chip. They offer a dead pedal setting that mode will let the van start but the peddle is dead and the van will only idle. Or a complete no start mode, then you umclip the keypad and put it in your pocket when you leave the van, thoughts?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #159
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Thinking about replacing my DP tuner chip in my 7.3 with a Power Hungry performance chip. They offer a dead pedal setting that mode will let the van start but the peddle is dead and the van will only idle. Or a complete no start mode, then you umclip the keypad and put it in your pocket when you leave the van, thoughts?

Yup….yank that DP tuner out! Worthless. PHP Hydra tunes are far superior and yes, you can put it in no start mode “NS” and for added measure take the keypad with you. I have gotten into the habit of putting our rig in no start every time I park it, and I take the keypad when leaving it somewhere random.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #160

Ref, is that all you do for anti theft?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote