Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #171

Regarding the post I made for a Ravelco security system for sale (#168 post) - I spoke with the installer of my Ravelco that I paid full price for - and in reference to a post/reply - the Ravelco company often changes post card colors in order to keep track of stock of devices.

This was NOT a purchase off of EBAY - my installer did say that EBay purchases would not get warranty support or new dongles/plugs if requested. I bought the device offered from "Repurposed Materials" - not EBay. I bought the device offered knowing I might be "taking a chance" - but for $ 100 bucks I was willing to take that chance. I am presently attempting to reach/call Ravelco to determine if the kit I have in hand would be eligible for support, etc. I hope to update this post in the very near future --

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #172

I think we have established that the ones being sold on Ebay and this distributer (I think they are the same) are just old stock that he has probably purchased at some going out of business sales. The cap logo has changed on newer runs. If Ravelco wanted to stop these from getting on the market, they should probably have a better bye back program.

If I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one from the vendor or this one being offered up. You will need to know how to install it your self, and I'm pretty sure it won't matter what color the card is for extra fobs, as you will need to show proof of purchase through them or a dealer.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #173

https://www.ravelco.com/beware.html
Old 11-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #174
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskyhi View Post
I think many are already aware of Ravelco's general warnings if you don't buy from or through their "dealers" you have absolutely no factory support. I get that but given the whole nature of these devices I'd be switched paying an installer of unknown experience or previous installations upwards of $600 for such a simple device. Do know I fancy myself as fairly accomplished and able to install a Ravelco at least as well as most anyone else. That same level of confidence (arrogance? ) exists in others however!

The linked page is good to know but Ravelco understandably works hard discrediting devices they've not directly or originally profited from selling. Not sure how many have really found counterfeited devices, those I've seen are simply the "over stocked" being sold on the secondary market. Where they're sold isn't the problem, that they don't come Ravelco is their main objection.

These devices are so very simple in their design, the so-called "authentic" versions well made but IMHO hardly worth the asking price. Honestly one can achieve their same effect by removing one or two fuses from the Battery Junction Box (underhood fuse block) or the Central Junction Box (inside fuse block) although that's not an advisable method---those fuse blocks were not meant for repeated fuse removal and insertion.

Those I bought were indeed through eBay until Ravelco complained and they were all removed from listing. I was lucky having my sellers contact info so buying a few more was possible. At that time he did have maybe 10 more so I provided a link to contact him. Not sure how many here took advantage of that though.

So anyway Ravelco and its knock-offs or alternatives are great devices to thwart entire vehicle theft, IMHO FWIW!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #175

Garage
Finally installed the Cyclops. No issue other than I was unclear on which relay to change based on my van labeling. Called Cyclops, Greg answered, and he helped me figure it out including texting a photo.

Works as advertised.

There is a valet mode to allow 10 starts so one could do that instead of swapping before service.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #176
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Finally installed the Cyclops. No issue other than I was unclear on which relay to change based on my van labeling. Called Cyclops, Greg answered, and he helped me figure it out including texting a photo.

Works as advertised.

There is a valet mode to allow 10 starts so one could do that instead of swapping before service.
Good to know you had a good experience with their customer support--that's always encouraging.

The valet mode is interesting too--a nice feature I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing Marret!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post

Works as advertised.

Which one did they tell you to swap out? The one I got says starter but like other folks have said I much prefer a crank no start recognizing the risk of using it in the fuel pump position and possible failure while driving.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #178

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
Which one did they tell you to swap out? The one I got says starter but like other folks have said I much prefer a crank no start recognizing the risk of using it in the fuel pump position and possible failure while driving.
On my van, a GM, I was only given the starter relay option so that is what I did, labeled as CRNK. I didn’t ask about another. I think it is preferrable for crank no start, but someone would have to take time to troubleshoot a no starter situation as well.

I believe the fuel pump is a different size relay although maybe the prongs are the same. One is a micro and one a mini micro relay.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #179

On my Ford they appear to be the same relay. I've resorted to pulling the fuel pump relay as well when the van sits for a long time. Belts w suspenders approach. BTW, our neighborhood has been hit w cat thefts over the past few weeks. Been all Prius's so far but a lifted van would be a super easy target. Time to work on that next.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:38 AM   #180

Garage
Yep on a lifted van target. As has been said, it is ridiculous with all the thefts these days…