Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
For folks who would like to fabricate their own Ravelco type system, the link below shows the plugs they likely use. It would be a simple matter to solder wires to the back of the female, in dash plug and then solder jumpers to the matching male plug that will connect between the pins you attach the wires to. Total investment would be under $50 if you include some armored wires and some sort of cover for the plug. Should you attempt this make sure that the plug you select is capable of carrying the current of what ever device you choose to interrupt.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-20...RoCp4kQAvD_BwE

Those are std AMP/Amphenol CPC connectors; they come in variety of shell sizes and pin counts one of which is similar to the Ravelco; the Ravelco device is a proprietary connector, not one of these.

These CPC connectors require a specific crimper to crimp the sockets; the sockets are then loaded into the shell.

You could use the mating shell with pins and jumpers crimped and wired and have as many circuits as you want although the "plug" portion that you carry with you will be a bit bulky, and have jumper wires hanging out of the back.

The shells are available in panel mount configurations with threaded bodies and spanner rings. You may want to cut off the lock ring (or not!) that's used to keep the connector together as well.

These are also available with metal shells (the Amphenol type); they are commonly used in military applications are are $$.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #62

I have a few of these connectors around...

Here's a plastic 9 pin CPC connector...this shell size is likely one size smaller than the shell size that close to a Ravelco.

Here is the connector mated.....the part that you would remove with the jumpers in it could be shorter than what's shown here if you leave the backshell off, but you will have little jumper wires showing..not really a big deal.

Here is a typical metal version....

These are pricey and beefy..and totally not needed for van applications. Early in my career I designed engine controls for the F-22 Raptor, and they used this type of connector.

The plastic style CPC connectors would be easier to remove the lock ring as well.

One issue with using these is getting your hands on a crimper, the AMP ones are pricey, although there are cheaper alternatives around that work OK.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I One issue with using these is getting your hands on a crimper, the AMP ones are pricey, although there are cheaper alternatives around that work OK.
That’s good info, I’d forgotten about the need for special crimpers, but with a potential savings of hundreds of dollars some folks might enjoy making some type of home brew setup. Are you aware of any easier to assemble multi pin connectors?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #64

Garage
Here in eastern PNW we haven't been too concerned about break ins or vehicle theft, but we will be venturing out more next year. Is our 2009 E250 2wd a target, or do thieves prefer Sprinters? What the heck does a thief DO with a stolen van anyhow? They can't really sell it as is.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #65

Thieves usually have grand plans to change their life living on the streets in the city. The camper van will be their escape! Then they stop to party one last time with their friends....and they get wasted and dump the vehicle. Usually they trash it and steal a few things. Then the owner gets to fix it and pay the impound and tow fees for when the cops find it. Insurance pays for none of it.

Sounds fun right?

You think it is just bad for vans? The Landcruiser folks have the same stories constantly. Easy to steal with a screwdriver or a sawzall depending on how brave you are.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That’s good info, I’d forgotten about the need for special crimpers, but with a potential savings of hundreds of dollars some folks might enjoy making some type of home brew setup. Are you aware of any easier to assemble multi pin connectors?

I just did a quick search and there are 2 size 17 shell/16 contact part numbers that are solder type, and they are both panel mount. You would still need to crimp the contacts for the plug so it doesn't really help much.

This may or may not be the correct crimper for these connectors, but it gives you an idea of what they cost......and the $$ goes up from here.....

https://www.amazon.com/TOOL-CRIMP-CP.../dp/B00DE2Q08M

By the time you buy crimpers for these you can likely buy a Ravelco.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Is our 2009 E250 2wd a target, or do thieves prefer Sprinters? What the heck does a thief DO with a stolen van anyhow? They can't really sell it as is.
Econolines are currently huge targets. Just in the last week, I've read about two different ones taken. It's happening frequently in Seattle, Portland, SF, Oakland, Southern Ca and plenty of other places so there's no reason to think anywhere is exempt. As for what they do with them, one member here, (GVT) had his stolen and six months later he saw it driving on the freeway going the opposite direction he was, and he saw it TWICE! Some are stripped for parts, some joy ridden, some probably go to Mexico or they have the VIN number swapped with a wrecked van, the possibilitys are endless. Here's one:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...380670799.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #68

For the time being here’s my caveman approach until I change my mind. Serious chain painted red on driver side front wheel, hopefully he sees it and decides it’s too big, goes for something easier and never bothers to actually break-in. Wheels chocked as someone suggested. If he cuts the chain and breaks in, the transfer case is in neutral and the lever removed. After that I’m just SOL.
Not the most convenient but it’s not a daily driver and My main goal is they see the hassle and look for something else, if they get in I doubt they’ll figure a way to get the TC into 2H.
Attached Thumbnails
4A533A69-EF81-4E75-8BF2-87A7F27478AD.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #69
Site Team

What about something like this? A little large, but if parked at home, you can leave it at home when you hit the road.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #70

https://www.amazon.com/TOOL-CRIMP-CP.../dp/B00DE2Q08M

$240 for a hand held crimping tool #thatsFNridiculous
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote