Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I could help you if you want, it’s not that hard.
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

At the moment I'm enjoying one of the best safety features of a Ford 6.0 diesel: It won't start so it's not likely to get stolen out of my backyard!...

Old 11-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Youngster, When you install it please follow back with a critique - I was looking at the Cyclops as a redundant measure, but like the proximity feature of the E-Bay one you posted, so very interested to hear if it lives up to your expectations.
The verdict is... I wouldn't get the Ebay version for a gas engine econoline. The instructions state that this relay should only be used to replace a starter relay, "Any other uses will put your vehicle at risk". This diagram below shows that the gas econoline does not have a starter relay.
However, the Cyclops relays can replace the starter, IDM and fuel pump relays, depending on the vehicle. For an E350 it is the fuel pump.
Cyclops No-Start Relay Vehicle Application Guide

The ebay version may work just fine for replacing the fuel pump relay in a E350, as shown in the Cyclops link above.
But I'm not going to risk it.
I'll be purchasing a Cyclops instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Econoline fusebox diagram.jpg  
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #143

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
The verdict is... I wouldn't get the Ebay version for a gas engine econoline. The instructions state that this relay should only be used to replace a starter relay, "Any other uses will put your vehicle at risk". This diagram below shows that the gas econoline does not have a starter relay.
However, the Cyclops relays can replace the starter, IDM and fuel pump relays, depending on the vehicle. For an E350 it is the fuel pump.
Cyclops No-Start Relay Vehicle Application Guide

The ebay version may work just fine for replacing the fuel pump relay in a E350, as shown in the Cyclops link above.
But I'm not going to risk it.
I'll be purchasing a Cyclops instead.
Thank you for the update Youngster - Believe I'll be sidelining the Ebay version as well.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #144

Ditto. Purchased the Cyclops last night.
BlunderBuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
The instructions state that this relay should only be used to replace a starter relay, "Any other uses will put your vehicle at risk".

From a failure mode standpoint, any of these devices will put your vehicle (and you!! at risk) when connected to anything but the starter relay.

Let's say you are breaking the fuel pump inertia switch circuit or the ECM or steering lock solenoid or....anything that keeps the van driving down the road. If any of these connections open while driving, you will have at least a "dead engine" and no power steering/brakes etc until you can get to the shoulder of the road.

I close my eyes and pretend I'm in one of the middle lanes of the 405 freeway at rush hour when doing this analysis.

The steering lock solenoid engaging at 65mph even worse.....

If the van won't start when driving down the freeway who cares......

So if your passenger/kid unwittingly yanks your Revelco cap or plays with your RFID tags, etc the only robust circuit to prevent a disaster when opened is the starter relay.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #146

Having had the PCM blow on my 2004 V10 while driving down the road, I can attest to the fact that the thing is a complete brick after this happens.

When using the modified relay, I would certainly take into account the circuit replaced. The starter relay is only active while your in the act of starting. Other circuits that are on while running means the relay coil continuously be on, thus generating more heat. While this heat may not destroy the actual relay portion, the modified receiver portion of the relay may not fare so well, so it does make sense that the starter relay is their choice.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #147

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
From a failure mode standpoint, any of these devices will put your vehicle (and you!! at risk) when connected to anything but the starter relay.

Let's say you are breaking the fuel pump inertia switch circuit or the ECM or steering lock solenoid or....anything that keeps the van driving down the road. If any of these connections open while driving, you will have at least a "dead engine" and no power steering/brakes etc until you can get to the shoulder of the road.

I close my eyes and pretend I'm in one of the middle lanes of the 405 freeway at rush hour when doing this analysis.

The steering lock solenoid engaging at 65mph even worse.....

If the van won't start when driving down the freeway who cares......

So if your passenger/kid unwittingly yanks your Revelco cap or plays with your RFID tags, etc the only robust circuit to prevent a disaster when opened is the starter relay.
...AND this is why having Members like you boywonder & scalf77 makes this Forum a wealth of info...I've had my engine shut down a couple times while moving and you're absolutely correct when you warn of the adverse consequences.
Sadly, I didn't even take those "side effects" into account when considering these units...I certainly took notice, hopefully others will heed your caution.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #148

Very good points. My concern was that the warning in the instructions from the Ebay product was that the modified relay was not interchangeable with the other relays.
Instead the real concern is when used in a non-starter relay it can inadvertently be switched open when driving, turning critical systems off in the van until switched closed.
For the reasons Scalf mentions the quality of the modified relay matters. Here the Ebay product is an unknown.
The Cyclops product has good reviews in the FTE forums over the long term, the biggest complaint being the fobs wear out after 4 or 5 years. It was mentioned that Cyclops was very responsive with fob replacements. I could find no mention of their relay failing.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:26 PM   #149

Question from the back of the room. If I was to install a cyclops or similar security relay in the starter solenoid circuit, what would prevent a thief from turning the ignition with a screwdriver expecting it to start but, it doesn't and realizing there must be a starter defeat. Then leave the punched out ignition in the run position and doing the two screwdriver maneuver on the starter to get it started and drive away. In effect bypassing whatever the owner put in the way of the normal starter circuit.

Wasn't there a post recently where a member was stranded with a diesel van and did this exact procedure to get going again? This all assumes there are no other circuits interrupted like a revelco or hidden switches. I understand there is a risk of losing power by installing the relay on the PCM or fuel relay if it fails, dead stick landings are stressful, but if it affords a higher level of frustrating a thief I'd be willing to take it.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #150

You could leave the ignition in the run position and do the screwdriver across the starter ........that would work.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote