Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Van Will Not Shut Off

Hi all,

Please help!

My E350 Diesel van will not shut off. The key was turned back to the off position but nothing happen? I had to remove the Ravelco security key to shut the van off. After restarting the van it began to misfire and still would not shut off unless I pulled the Ravelco security key.
The van has been at the Ford Dealership for 4 weeks and they still can't find the root-cause. Here's what has been found/done so far:
*Found a bad Diode and replaced (Week #1)
*Exchanged the PCM (Week#3-Did not fix the issue)
*Found water corrosion in the Smart Junction Box (Week#4 replacement unit is on order)
As you can image, the Ford Dealership is stating the Ravelco system is the cause and Ravelco is stating otherwise. With the recent finding of water corrosion in the SJB, the Dealership is claiming the water intrusion was due to Ravelco drilling through the firewall which allowed water to run into the SJB.
Has anyone experienced any water intrusion or corrosion to their Smart Junction Box? Will SJB failure keep the vehicle running even though the ignition is on off position?
Your feedback is much appreciated!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Van Will Not Shut Off

Wow, hope you get to the root cause, and please also let us know what eventually solves the problem.

FWIW, I've had Ravelco's installed in three vehicles now and have never had a problem. Even if the hole allowed water to penetrate, I don't understand why they can't resolve the consequence. About all I can give you is moral support at this point.

If it runs OK, you might want to consider going to a specialty diesel shop. I think it's clear that Ford dealer won't be warrantying anything anyway.

Good luck,
Herb
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #3

Thanks, Herb.

All online reviews regarding Ravelco were positive so I'm slightly doubtful of their system being the cause. I have read Ford having Smart Junction Box issues with other Ford models (Fusion and Mustangs) but nothing on vans.

I will definitely update my post as soon as I hear more from the Dealership
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #4

I don't know how the Ravelco is wired in, so this may not be relevent....

But on a stock van, I don't see how this could be anything other than a faulty ignition switch. Without RUN power from the ignition, the PCM won't get power, which means the FICM won't know the Crankshaft or Camshaft signals, and therefore the injectors simply won't work. Not only that, the FICM also gets a voltage signal directly from the ignition switch (in addition to main supply from the FICM relay, so I presume the ignition voltage circuit is a safety in case the FICM relay fails).

So unless the Ravelco modifies the power source for the PCM and FICM-ignition-signal, its the ignition switch. I would think however the the Revelco would simply interrupt the power supply, and not supply it from another source??? (pure speculation... if they do bypass the ignition switch completely, bad on them....)

The only other possibility I can think of is the wires in the steering column are chaffed, and are effectively bypassing the ignition switch. This shouldn't happen though unless the stock harness has been unwrapped allowing excess movement and rubbing.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Best of luck. I really don't much that will help except I've had the Ravelco on our SMB since 2008 with zero related problems. It is ironic that your van will not turn off when many people have the exact opposite problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

The dealership has disconnected the systems so I have doubt the issue of not turning off is related to the Ravelco system. As far as the steering harness, it has not been tampered with and the dealership has ruled out a faulty ignition switch.

I'm concerned the dealership may not have the competence to repair the van or will continue the Easter egg hunt at my expense. I’m waiting to see if the SJB is truly the issue before getting the van towed to another dealership.

Does anyone recommend a Ford Dealerships in Orange County CA?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

I am reading this old thread...curious the root cause.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #8

There was evidence of corrosion in the fuse box caused by a water leak. In the end, the dealer blamed Ravelco and Ravelco blamed the dealer.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

So when I install this check the fuse box for gaps after installation. I have way too much time and energy invested in my van. I should consider secondary insurance. I do appreciate the post.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote