Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

So it happened again today, figured since I got the spare time I would replace the starter solenoid. Went to my local automotive store to pick up a replacement part.

When I started swapping out the old part I noticed that the new one is different. The orientation of the copper terminals are now vertical as opposed to the old one that is vertical due to the position of the mounting brackets. There is also two of silver metal terminals on the new unit where as my old one only had 1 silver terminal. Photo attached is the new unit.

I installed it, van wouldn't turn over. Unplugged the battery, switched to the other silver terminal, still no joy.

Now according to my volt meter it looks like my battery is dead, might have left something on since I haven't driven the van in a few weeks (I replaced the battery in Dec) so it's on a trickle charge right now.

I will install the battery tomorrow and try again. Am I doing something wrong?

At least no one can steal my van right now.
Attached Thumbnails
download.jpg  

Old 05-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #12

i would expect the old one with one silver terminal was all metal and the ground was supplied with the attachment to the body of the van. Now the new part has a ground terminal so you will have to attach one of those terminals to ground.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
i would expect the old one with one silver terminal was all metal and the ground was supplied with the attachment to the body of the van. Now the new part has a ground terminal so you will have to attach one of those terminals to ground.

-greg
That makes a lot of sense, there is a ground beside the solenoid that is attached to the body. Thanks Greg!
Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #14

Update:

So after replacing the starter solenoid, it will still not start. Had a friend come over to do some trouble shooting. Solenoid was not getting power. After taking it out and re-installing several times to make sure I didn't goof the orientation I gave up.

Off to the dealership, turns out the electrical connection was bad resulting in very low voltage to the solenoid so they had to replace some wiring.

The tow provided some entertainment for some kids watching them load the "monster truck" van.

I was able to get it back the same day (it's a long weekend here) and we had a campfire and found some waterfalls yesterday. It was so nice just to get out and have a BBQ with our dog running around finding sticks. Hoping for calmer times so we can all enjoy the outdoors again. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of said trip but one or two of my friends did, will see if they have any of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-3980.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #15

Garage
All things considered, at least they we able to diagnose/resolve the issue quickly, and seems your wallet wasnt too offended in the end...hope you had AAA towing to boot.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
All things considered, at least they we able to diagnose/resolve the issue quickly, and seems your wallet wasnt to offended in the end...hope you had AAA towing to boot.
Thanks, yes I have a platinum membership with RV Coverage since we purchased the van. First time I've used it but at $100ish dollars for annual coverage it offers considerable value/piece of mind.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #17

Glad to hear you got it figured out. At least you didn't break down in some remote location.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Glad to hear you got it figured out. At least you didn't break down in some remote location.
Thanks Jeff, I am glad it is more thing we don't have to worry about. The last time it happened we were on a beach!

First time we took the van out since we got back from our SA Trip so I haven't gotten to addressing it until now.

River is missing you and your jar of nuts!
Attached Thumbnails
20200517-IMG_7152.jpg   20200517-IMG_7058.jpg  
Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 AM   #19

I ended up having to replace the starter motor this weekend. We went to the island for a trip and slept in a parking lot due to very late ferry. Engine wouldn't turn over at all when I woke up. After using a screwdriver to create some connectivity and a hammer the van roared to life.

I was able to find the only starter motor (ford re manufactured) on the island but I didn't bring my tools with me (we were doing mostly pavement). I was able to track down a local mechanic who was able to see me later in the day. $400 later and the van is back to life, I'm glad I broke down in the city vs the bush. I will always be packing tools with me no matter what now.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I will always be packing tools with me no matter what now.
The last time I took the ferry to the island, the van puked an ignition coil just as I was driving off. Fortunately I had a spare and the tools to change it. When starters give up, often times a quick rap with a hammer will give you a few more starts because it's usually the brushes have worn out. A quick tap will dislodge them into contact for a (short) while. Hopefully, your electrical issues are behind you now...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote