Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Virtual Solar/Elec Help?

I am having trouble getting solar support in my location and without a long wait, so I am looking for someone to help remotely (interesting business idea, right?)

Current setup on 08 E150 RB:

2 deep cycle house batteries
1 180W Go Power panel
1 30A Go Power controller
1 battery separator
1 charge wizard
Shore power

I want to add another Go Power solar panel which I have. It's an expansion kit.
and ensure system is work well off both batteries.

Issues to be resolved:

Only one battery is connected to the control panel- need to add second.
Getting solar panel set up right (think I got this bit but great to compare notes)

Photo to demonstrate spaghetti junction SMB setup!

In SF Bay Area incase anyone can recommend someone too.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
241380246_234188261836750_3098213032274918957_n.jpg  

natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #2

Garage
I've shared this several times, and will do so again; I receive more benefit from my axillary suitcase solar set-up than I ever have with roof mounted panels.

While you drive to your destination the batteries are charged via the alternator - so roof panel(s) are obsolete. If you are like most, when you arrive at your destination you'll more than likely choose to park in whatever shade you can - this renders the roof panels obsolete as well.
A long cord with a suitcase panel (or two) on the end is much more beneficial since you can drag them out & place in the sun while your Van stays comfortably in the shade.
Only time the roof panels are really useful is when you've positioned the Van in the sun, and intend on leaving it there for a period of time.
Several threads on this forum that describe the portable suitcase set-ups - suggest you do a search for "solar suitcase" for more info. You may find that info changes your current plan.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #3

Totally hear that. And concur.

I bought the van with the GP panel, and made a knee jerk decision to buy another two when they were available unused, unopened, and at a discounted price and onroute on a trip lately. I had read to keep to the same brand so jumped on this opportunity. Also scored nice traction mats, Rotopax stuff, and a new Land Rover buddy- yay!

As we plan to be in Baja and m/l Mexico through the year and not always with our rig, we opted against the suitcase approach.

In our future rig plans (we are always thinking like that, right? lol) where we will be back in US, suitcase approach makes lots of sense.

Thanks for being such a thoughtful contributer!
natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

I have a background installing 12v/solar systems and I'm in santa cruz - I'll shoot you a pm.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar